Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

E3 Plugs

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  theescaperoute 
#1 ·
I saw a thing on Spike's Powerblock where they did a "Spark Plug Shootout" with a test motor and they did dyno runs on the motor with different plugs. They said they got their best gains off the E3s.
My friend, who is way more of a Ford modder than myself, said that the motor would probably prefer to have a copper-cored plug. But his experience is with the four-cylinders, so he said he wasn't sure how my six would like them. Any advice on that subject?

#2 ·
The advantages I know for copper plugs are better resistance to high-compression engines (larger centre electrode) and a stronger spark for burning higher-octane fuel. Our engines have neither of those conditions, so I would not put in a copper plug. Given how time consuming it is to replace the rear bank plugs, I would choose something with very little gap erosion.

Even on stock spark plugs, my car gets zeros across the board in emissions testing, meaning the engine burns pretty much all the fuel it gets fed. I do not think an upgraded spark plug will give you much of a performance boost without corresponding changes to the ECU.

#3 ·
Thanks a lot for the info. Yeah, I have plans in the near future for an ECU upgrade, which is why I'm touching on the plugs and wires.

#5 ·
Sorry to bring up an old thread..but I helped my brother change his spark plugs this weekend and it got me thinking...since I have an XCal and it has a new tune in it (I am currently running the 93 tune) would I see any benefit in performance/efficiency by upgrading the stock plugs?

#6 ·
higher octane fuel has a higher flash point, but is overall more explosive...
Therefore, to make the best of this, a hotter spark can help.

#7 ·
theescaperoute said:
higher octane fuel has a higher flash point, but is overall more explosive...
Therefore, to make the best of this, a hotter spark can help.
Not wanting to step on any toes here but the octane in the fuel is there to slow down the combustion (lowers the flash point), that is the flame travel from the plugs spark through the air/fuel mixture. A lower octane fuel burns faster, sometimes so fast it "knocks" in the cylinder. Case in point, if your motor knocks on low octane fuel going to a higher octane will stop the knock, or retarding the timing will do the same because the fuel is ignited later in the combustion cycle. Lower octane fuel will burn so quikly at times the last of the power stroke is wasted, higher octane that takes longer to burn will use the end of the power stroke that was wasted by the loweoctane fuel, thus more HP/torque.

PUTT :D :D :D

#8 ·
Believe me, I know. I had to step to 93 octane after I went to the E3 plugs.
Right after the change, it felt like it wasn't its usual perky self. I switched to 93, and I've never been happier.
I lost a couple MPGs (that also might've been the 5w30 oil I switched to right after) but it's worth it.
Did I mention I also have a 1974 Z28 Camaro?
My escape still flogs it in MPG, so I'm okay with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.