Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Ean in for his appt this morning. The rattling sound is a hole in his flex pipe. CarMax told me to get it fixed somewhere else because if they did it they would have to buy the entire peice for like $600, which would be stupid since I only need a small portion fixed. Trying to figure out what to do or where to go. I don't want to get over charged for something like this. Possibly taking him to a teacher's husband from our school. He worked for Ford for 10 years and fixes their cars. He told me he would look at it to see if he could do anything for me.

Other issues... Ean was making a clanking noise going over bumps before his rattling started. He needs his front stabilizer links replaced and his rear shocks replaced. The stabilizer links are covered in my warranty so I don't have to worry about those. However, I do have to pay for the rear shocks. I am also going to see if my teacher's husband can do that as well. Just outraged at the labor costs from shops. The labor for the shocks would cost as much as the parts... :shock: :rant: Not paying that!

Have you guys delt with issues with the flex pipe before??? :confused: If so, what did you do??? Just trying to get ideas. Any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I've had flex pipes go bad on Hondas before, what you need to find is a muffler shop that will cut off the bad piece and weld in a new one. No need to buy some giant piece for $600, I just had two, ahem, "repairs" done to my Jetta's exhaust and he charged me $120 ($60 for straight pipe, 2 pieces). I imagine they could do this for less than $100 (flex pipe being more expensive than straight).

The shocks you can get online cheaper than around but yes, they do require a fair amount of labor since you have to take apart quite a bit to change them. I would suggest buying them and having your friends husband do that. I was going to buy KYB GR2 for mine, they're a sportier ride than stock. Not sure what it will be like if you only replace the rears. Here's a link to the KYB rears, they also have the fronts if you look for them:
http://www.partstrain.com/store/det...location=Rear-comma-_Driver_Or_Passenger_Side

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ajax!!! My friends hubby was a Ford mechanic for 10 years. She said he could do it at their house and if he needed a lift or something he has a good buddy where he could take it to his shop and do it no problem. I am uploading some pics of the "hole" I'm pretty sure I found. Everything else looks ok.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I agree with Ajax. And I hope your friend's husband can do this for you!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I agree with Ajax too...but the rear shocks should not be more that half an hour's labor.
Removing the two plastic covers in the trunk area is all it takes for the two top mount screws to be dealt with.
I am sure your friend's husband will do that in a jiffy.
Your weekend looks brighter and brighter.Way to go Jacinda. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

I made a personal goal for myself. I want to become more knowledgable in mechanics. So I know what is happening with Ean and possibly can do some of it myself. Maybe my college offers a course. :confused: :thumb:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ean-The-Escape said:
Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

I made a personal goal for myself. I want to become more knowledgable in mechanics. So I know what is happening with Ean and possibly can do some of it myself. Maybe my college offers a course. :confused: :thumb:
You can find a trade/vocational type school and get basic mechanics courses from them, thats what i did. Its very easy and i pretty much knew the stuff they taught anyway and you would prolly know also. I am currently taking courses in advanced auto mechanics, its challenging but fun..you would enjoy!
It always helps to have at least a basic working knowledge of the specfic vehicle you drive also...so when you go to a shop for a repair you cant really do due to not having the right tools, etc you wont be as likely to get screwed. That came in very handy for the previous car i had.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I realized the pic I took isn't of the hole in Ean's flex pipe. That is just some heat cover thingy. I found where the flex pipe really is and I could not see or feel a hole in it. So idk. :confused: :worry:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
They tell you there is a hole on the flex pipe but you cannot see any.
Hmm!
Here are a couple of things you can verify yourself.
With the engine cold or having been off for at least 30 minutes, make sure you have the hand-brake on and the gear level at Park, grab a pair of garden gloves, put them on and get under the car, passenger side.
Starting from where about the flexible part is grab the exhaust with both hands and shake it trying to reproduce the rattle you are hearing when driving.Gradually repeat the procedure every three feet until you reach the tail pipe.

AS FAR AS HOLES CHECKING:Take a piece of cloth and a bowl of water.
Hand-brake on and at Park.
Start the engine and with the wet cloth stab the exhaust starting from the front and gradually move to the end of it.Be persistent around where you see any welding or other kind of connection on the exhaust pipe.If there is a hole you will hear a fizzing kind of noise.
Most of the times there is some black carbon residue on the pipe around where a hole exists.
Please be careful.If the process takes you more than five minutes,the exhaust will start getting hotter and hotter.You can still proceed but with caution.
Take care!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sad to hear Ean is sick :( , however im glad someone is helping you with him and not letting the shop rip you off.

For the hole in the exhaust pipe, depending of the size you can put a temporary fix with Epoxy Resin. I did that with my last car when the catalyzer started rusting, it lasted almost 10 months untill I sold it, i dunno how much longer is it gonna last there. And with a friend's car, did it almost 16months ago, and it is still good.

Epoxy Resin works with two compounds that look like play doh, when you mix them they weld together sealing the hole , therefore fixing the problem. You have put them with the car cold, and let the resin rest for about 2hr (the more the better)before turning on the car.

It is way cheaper than changing the part...(i cant recall, but it was something in the neighborhood of 15-20 bucks the pair of compounds, and it was enough for both cars)

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So something weird... I went in Friday to get my sway link bars fixed under a warranty. Well now that they are fixed I haven't heard the rattling sound since. I thought the rattling sound was coming from my flex pipe issue. If sway link bars are bad, will they cause a rattling sound? :confused:

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Ean-The-Escape said:
If sway link bars are bad, will they cause a rattling sound? :confused:
Yes they will... Glad Ean is quiet now :yes:

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They told me the rattling sound was coming from my flex pipe... I guess I need to crawl under him again and see if there really is a "hole". Maybe they assumed it was but it was really the sway link bars...

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I don't even know what the flex pipe is. I wouldn't think a hole would cause a rattle though... :shrug: I've had to change my sway bar links 2x. Both times I had a bunch of rattling before the change and none after.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah okay sounds good. Google the flex pipe. It is this weird piece towards the front of the car that is like cross knitted mesh. It gives the exhaust some room to move if need be. Without it the exhaust would snap off the truck... that is what I was told haha

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Flex pipe, if it had a hole or leak, would just be loud exhaust. It comes off the headers and goes to your cat, just enables the engine to rock on it's mounts without tearing the rest of the exhaust off. You may have been lied to - I know, it would probebly be the first time a dealer lied! :hyst:

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very true. I doubt CarMax would lie to me though. The girl told me what the issue was with the flex pipe and directly told me to go somewhere else. If they were lying they would have told me I needed it fixed and this is what it would cost, not tell me to go somewhere else. She told me directly where it is though so I just need to crawl under there and check it out. I will update with what I find.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts