Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ford workshop manual says that if the EGR valve is removed, the pipe must be replaced.
Can someone tell me why? ................ it's a a $40 part. ouch.

If the pipe is not replaced, what type of sealant if any could be used on the threads?
I have some 400º thread sealant, but I don't know what the temperature of the pipe is at the EGR valve end.
My guess is that it might be hotter than that, and putting something on the threads might risk getting some of it in EGR valve.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I saw that requirement too. The only explanation that I can think of is that the tube is deformed slightly when it is first tightened into place on the EGR valve. After that, it can never seal properly again if it's disconnected from the EGR valve. At least that's what seems most likely to me as an explanation.

You asked about sealant on the threads. I don't think sealant on the threads is what's needed. The seal must be between the inlet of the EGR valve, the tube and the flare nut. I'm going to try the tube seals that are offered by autoparts stores and see if that does the trick. And you're right, $40 to replace a tube that appears to be perfectly fine seems a bit steep. A used part won't work, according to FoMoCo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts