Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine light is on... and they say its my EGR...
But i changed it from the old engine... have the old one in my garage... and still reads the samething...
But i notice that when i changed the spark plugs, i only hand tighten the pipe... the computer read the car fine... then after work i tighten the pipe.. and the next day the same reading came up... i dunno what to do...
please help guys...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Engine light on EH? Have you taken it to get the code read. Places like Advanced auto and AutoZone will read it for free. Having a number P-XXXX would be a big help. But off hand, I would guess the DPFE sensor.
EGR valves rarely go bad. (but do sometimes) Let us know what the code is and we can take it from there.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'd also guess that it's the DPFE sensor. It's the one and only thing that went wrong in my 2002 Explorer, and even then, all it did was cause a little part-throttle stumbling and an orange warning light.

·
Registered
611 Posts
02Xcape said:
its P0401
Yup, that's the DPFE sensor. It's a five minute fix. (if that) Just make sure it's a brand name one. Motorcraft, Standard or AirTex. The off brand ones had a voltage problem. Pick up a new one and don't worry about the engine light. It'll go out by itself after some driving and make sure the EGR pipe is secure.

·
Registered
611 Posts
02Xcape said:
do u know what makes the DPFE sensor go bad...
If you have the original one, it was a weak link in the EGR system. You are correct, if you assume that Ford has improved it. Just like the Idle Air Control valve. (they redesigned that too) But to better answer your Q's. From what I have read. Carbon build up or deposits is the culprit. I forgot to mention earlier. That one of the two hoses may be plugged with carbon. Then again, every Escape owner that had a P-0401 code, that replaced the DPFE sensor. Never had that problem again. (unless they bought off brand ones)

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Now find some more Escape owners and bring their butts on here!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts