Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for the past few days, I have noticed the noise from my engine bay was a little louder on my 2003 Escape. On the way to drop kids off at daycare before work this morning, I looked down and had an ABS light, then my radio died and then all my gauges went dead and finally engine would barely idle.

Sitters husband attempted to jump me with his truck. It eventually started but while leaving Escape running and disconnecting the jumper cables it only ran for about 5 mins. While running, the "loading" sound on the motor while running was not there. I am thinking this is because the alternator finally gave ups it's ghost.

I am thinking its the alternator. Replaced the battery in Jan. I am thinking the the jump vehicle is charging the battery enough to get me running by the alternator can't keep the "system" up on it's own and the battery is too low.

Have read that the right half axle needs to come out to change the alternator.

Anyone have experience on this task? Sound right that this is the alternator? Pretty common in EMT's?

thx

Paul

·
Registered
39 Posts
that sounds like the same symptoms mine gave me, i to changed out battery and ultimately replaced alternator. not an easy job, but worth the coin saved. shop wanted 600 plus parts i did it for the price of a new alternator 200 and 4 hrs of my time. if you get a manual and just follow directions and take your time it can be done. the only thing i did different was to remove pinch bolt and split knuckle from lower ball joint so i could pull the shaft out in one piece. that also gave me ability to replace ball joint rubber that was shredded. good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finished the alternator replacement just now. Took me 6 hours, but I wasn't working super hard. What a pain in the rear though. Don't know if I would do it again but glad I saved some bucks on the deal and have a lifetime guarantee on the part.
How can a remanufactured part have one and not the OEM...???

Thought it was ironic the re-man part had a Motorcraft casing and the OEM one didn't.

Engine whine is gone along with a slight "ticking" that had shown up a few weeks ago. So it seems like I had some signs the alternator was going south for a little while now.

Biggest tip I got was to unbolt the engine mount on the passenger side and use a jack to raise the motor as much as possible. Without doing this, I don't think there is a way to get the alternator out. Had read also that some had shoehorned the alternator behind the engine and up the firewall...More power to ya for this.

On a different note, I chose to leave the hub on the axle and just disconnected the spindle from the lower A-arm and tie rod. Other than that, the Haynes manual was worth the $$$.

Paul in Texas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts