Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I own a 2009 Ford Escape 3.0 V6 AWD with around 280.000km. The past few years have been good. Just had to replace a few parts here and there. The biggest ones were the water pump 2 years ago and the alternator last year. Recently I had a lot of issues.

So 2 weeks ago I drove to a store with no issues and a few minutes later the car wouldn't start when I went to leave the store. The starter fuse blew every time I tried to start it. I've called CAA and he started it with a battery boost. The mechanic said the battery is dead (5 years old - so I guess that make sense). Battery was replaced with a brand new one. Checked ideas online and found out that one cable under the battery on this model can sometimes get loose and start rubbing on the metal parts of the car. So I checked it and I found that issue to be true. One of the cables seemed to be damaged (a thin green one - I assume it would be a ground wire). So I fixed it with electrical tape and attached it so it doesn't rub anymore.
All was perfect until today. By the end of the day my power steering looses power. It works fine for about 10 seconds after I start it and than it stops. The battery light goes on as soon as the power steering stops working (so about 10 seconds after start) and now even the ABS light goes on. Last time I tried to start the car it would make weird noises and wouldn't start and my speedometer and rpm needles would "shake" for a few seconds around the 0. Since than I didn't try anything because I don't want to cause any more damage.

Additionally my engine light is on all the time for the past 2 years as there is a common issue with the "check fuel fill inlet". Had it checked and it was usually 2 codes related to that. But I can't say if any new issue would cause the engine light go on as it is always on.

I'm going to have it towed to my mechanic tomorrow and see what is the issue. Was just wandering if anyone here ever had similar issues or if someone has an idea what it could be.

Thank you

·
Registered
347 Posts
From your post, the weird electrical problems are from low battery voltage. The noise under the hood may be the alternator failing. Check battery voltage. Look at the serpentine belt for melted areas because the alternator could be hard to turn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, so the electrical problems are realted to low battery which was replaced 2 weeks ago. Mechanic said it could be either alternator which is 2 years old or ignition as it apparently is supposed to send signal before start to some parts of the car to function. So they will run some tests today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update. Car was fixed on Thursday. Replaced alternator. It's Sunday now and I have the same issues. Got stranded in a parking lot. CAA gave me boost and said the alternator is putting low voltage (I think he said somewhere around 12V and 12.5V). I was able to drive back home without any issues but had the AC and radio off not to drain more power. Back to the shop tomorrow

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So they said the alternator they put in a few days ago was faulty (carquest) and replaced it for a new one. Hoping that's it and it will fix the issue permanently.

Thank you for all your inputs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts