Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Electrical Issue...?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  jpark 
#1 ·
I am having the same issue others are having with the instrument guages' needles pegging out, then going to zero then to normal when I get to around 40 mph. Just prior to this happening I feel what feels like an engine miss and the lights flicker. I did some research on here and other sites and found that several people associated this with the alternator. My 03 has 117,000 so I figured it must be the alternator going. So, I replaced that with no change. And now in addition to this with the ignition on, running or not, when I activate my left turn signal all of my dash light flicker in sync with the turn signal. Same thing when I turn on the hazards with and without the ignition on. All of my dash light flicker in sync with the hazards. Also when I have the ignition off and the key out, if I step on the brake pedal the instrument lights come on along with my parking lights and the chime goes off as if I left my lights on. Now I am thinking this must be an electrical issue. I checked battery connections, fuses, relays and have found everything to be working properly and secure. My Haynes manual shows an electronic flasher module in the wiring diagram that all of the above tie into but I cannot find this thing to test it. Does anyone know where this might be or have had this issue before? Sorry to be so long winded but wanted to be accurate. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#3 ·
Get a flashlight and check for corrosion or moisture around or behind the interior fuse panel under the A-pillar. Early year Escapes sometimes had a faulty windshield seal that allowed water to collect in that area, but it was supposed to be fixed by 2003. It's possible that an early build still had that issue, or you just developed a leak with a seal having no inherent defect.

#4 ·
Already changed the alternator and pulled the fuse panel. I didn't notice any water damage but will double check as I was not looking for that specifically. I did check all of the relays on the backside of the fuse panel as well as each and every fuse and connectors attached to the fuse panel and found everything tight and in proper working order. I visually inspected all of the wires I can get my eyes on but havent seen any that look worn or damaged. I am still trying to locate the electronic flasher module so I can test that. I am thinking that it may be shorted out somewhere inside causing these issues. I am pulling my hair out over this so any other suggestions are definitely appreciated.

#5 ·
Look closely at the large harness on the driver-side inner fender, under the hood, near the master cylinder. '01-'04 Escapes had a recall to fix that harness, and it caused some of the electrical problems you're describing. Look for exposed copper, frayed wiring, or signs of burned or melted wiring.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=299&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=abs+fire#p27

#6 ·
I will check that first thing today. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I checked this wiring harness and did not see anything out of the ordinary. I am still thinking it could be the electronic flasher module since all of these lights including the brake pedal position switch tie into this. Unfortunately my Haynes manual only has a wiring diagram and does not indicate where this module is located. Any ideas? I am trying to use the colors of the wires listed in my haynes manual to find it. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far and please keep them coming.

#8 ·
I found the electronic flasher module. It is essentially two relays in one module. One relay worked fine when tested however the other did not so i am going to replace this and see what happens. I just hope the parts store or dealership has one. I will keep you guys updated.

#9 ·
tedsher, i sent you a pm. also do youthink that this flasher module would ALSO cause the erractic behavior on the instrument cluster? in any event PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE let us know if you find the solution. and i will do likewise. i had the alternator changed, and i am still having the crazy cluster syndrome

#11 ·
Ok. After tracing and checking every electrical wire and connection and finding nothing I decided to check the battery which was bad. Also I remembered that I had an aftermarket wiring harness installed for a trailer when I purchased my hitch receiver. I decided to check that and found that it was shorting out. So after putting in a new battery and removing the wiring harness (i have not towed anything in the year i have had the tow hitch) the lights and needles work fine. Go figure. After all that work it was something as simple as a bad battery and badly wired wiring harness. The miss was the number 2 cop so I replaced it along with all of my spark plugs. Now she runs like new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.