Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

First, I must say how great this site is. I have actually been a sort of silent observer for some time now, and the information, mods, and posts are awesome. So thanks for all the information so far.

My question today is regarding the emergency brake adjustment on my 2007 Escape XLT with 4 wheel disc brakes. When I use it, it pulls all the way up, and just barely holds. I was hoping there would be a simple cable adjustment in line, but Ford and my local brake shop tell me the wheels have to come off to adjust it. (Not that I can't take off my wheels, I just don't know how much more I have to take off after)

Has anyone adjusted their e-brake already? Or might have a diagram or instructions? That would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

JD

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Not that this will help you as there are considerable differences between our Escapes (Mine has drum brakes on the back) but on mine that adjustment was in what I consider an odd place, inside the vehicle. It was under the rubber flap surrounding the parking brake handle, down in there under it.

Might not be the same for you, but hey it will only take a second to look and see, if it is there might save you some trouble.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I did look around down there but could not find the adjustment.From what they told me, the adjustment was around the actual brakes on my version.

JD

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Thanks for PMing me on this one, since I missed it. Sorry!!!

Here are the how-to articles for a 2007 with rear discs. I guess you really do learn something new every day. I always thought that the parking brake on vehicles with rear discs used a mechanical connection to the caliper to hold the pads against the disc, but I guess it actually uses a shoe, much like a rear drum brake, on the inside of the disc.

:shrug:

Anyway, here's the cable adjustment how-to:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4994#p88724

And if the shoes need adjustment (less likely than just the cable), here's the how-to:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4993#p88723

Please let us know how this works out. This is the first post I've seen asking about the parking brake. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks JPark! I don't have the special tool for the rear discs. But I will give the cable adjustment another try. Ford quoted me $50 for the brake adjustment if I brought it in. I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. So first thing I learned was to look a bit deeper at things before giving up. I didn't pull the brake boot up far enough to see the adjustment, I was looking down in the console.:doh: But, remove the boot and sure enough , there it is.

Think mine needs adjusting???

After I cranked the nut down.

I can already see a difference, :yahoo: but I did crank it all the way down to the cable. So if it gets higher again then the pad adjustment will be my only recourse. Thanks for the helpful information guys!

JD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts