Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
The brake light serves 2 functions. One, it indicates when the emergency brake is on, as you note. But it also comes on if there is a problem in the brake system. Are you possibly leaking brake fluid from the master cylinder or a wheel cylinder?

·
Registered
36 Posts
mine has the same issue. somedays its on, somedays its off. any one know the reason for this? i also get a oil light on every now and then. the thing is full of oil. i'm not too worried about either, car runs and brakes fine, its just annoying.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Metallman56 said:
mine has the same issue. somedays its on, somedays its off. any one know the reason for this? i also get a oil light on every now and then. the thing is full of oil. i'm not too worried about either, car runs and brakes fine, its just annoying.
There are two switches that turn the brake warning on. One is the parking brake switch, the other is a fluid level switch on the master cylinder.

As for the oil light, it is NOT an oil level warning, it's an oil PRESSURE warning. You need to determine that you're running sufficient oil pressure before you ignore that light.

·
Registered
36 Posts
well, i checked the brake fluid, and its right where it is suppose to be.

as far as the oil pressure goes, i dont know how to check that. i know my lifters are not knocking, so thats a good sign.

i'm starting to think its some kind of sensor short on the gauge cluster. the lights are next to each other, and come on and off as they please. though the brake light is on a lot more often.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Any brake work done? If ya got rear drum brakes ya might wanna take off the drums and inspect the e-brake cable to make sure it is returning back in posistion and not getting hung up.

How does your e brake lever work? when u pull it up how many clicks about does it do? It should be around 5-6 clicks..any more too loose, any less, too tight and needs adjusting rear shoes..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts