Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've had this problem for some time and it appears to be more annoying than anything else. It only surfaces when starting the vehicle after the engine is cold (hasn't been run in 4+ hours) It lasts around 40 seconds on average and then goes away, I can't hear it whilst driving or idling after this period of time has elapsed. I have remote start, so I can definitely hear it from 50 yards away in a parking lot, and also in the interior if I use the key to start.

I have attached a link to a mp3 audio file that I thought would have been higher quality, but also included a description below. If anyone has ideas, let me know. My thoughts so far are either:
exhaust header crack/gasket
valve lifter noise

I have not stuck my hand inside to feel for air as of yet.

MP3 Audio
00:00-00:05= silence
00:06-00:11= engine start
@00:12= clicking begins
@00:30= lowers idle speed
00:11-00:55= clicking period
00:56-01:05= idle without click

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have heard this exact same sound on other Ford Escapes.

Recently a friend of mine complained of the same issue (2001 V6) and it turned out to be the front exhaust pipe which includes a flexible section.

We changed it out and sure enough the leaking sound disappeared (the flexible section was leaking).

I have also read about cracked manifolds. I have yet to see one.

Turns out I also have the "ticking" at a cold start on my 2001 V6 for about 10 seconds and I will probably do a little investigation on my own.

I usually have a helper block the tailpipe with a heavy rag and hunt around for escaping back pressure (exhaust gases) along the exhaust system.

Has anyone experienced a cracked manifold?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
No cracked manifold in Greece where the Escape, aka Maverick sold well until 2007.
A few rare occasions of exhaust manifold gasket.
As for the ticking noise there was a TSB by Ford for the 3l V6 engine some years ago.
Ford named it camshaft ticking noise.
TSB # 06-3-5
Date February 20, 2006
Vehicles:01-05 Sable, Taurus
01-06 Escape
05-06 Mariner
I happen to have that TSB and if interested I can forward it to you.
I personall had a ticking issue with my 2004 V6 which proved to be the belt tensioner.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Manic Mechanic said:
I believe the TSB quoted above refers to a warm engine.

The issue I'm having is on a cold engine but is only noisy for about 20 seconds. It sounds almost like an exhaust leak.

Anyone else ever have this?
Yes you are absolutely right, the TSB referred to a warm engine but the issue here in Greece with very hot summer weather was all the same even with cold engine.Following the Bulletin's instructions it proved to be an effective remedy.

Back to your question.
Yes I had that "almost like an exhaust leak" sound when starting from cold.It would last for a minute or two and then it was almost gone.
It proved to be a slight leak from the exhaust manifold gasket.Changed it and no more sound.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
glad to see it's not just me. I'll pop the hood and have a look at the flexible portion. I was able to locate an updated version of the TSB leading all the way into the Escape 2007 model year. It seems that after a certain manufacture date they changed the design, as it notes to look for a code on the engine as to whether this TSB applies.

TSB 08-03-10

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys sorry to dig up an old thread, but I wanted to add closure. I've been listening to the ticking for over a year now, finally it's getting real loud and quite embarrassing. I decided to take it to the dealer, today and I received a call with the results as follows:

A cracked manifold on the left side is the root cause of the problem (nice job Manic Mechanic). My 2007 Ford Escape is still under it's 5 year/60k powertrain factory warranty, but this problem does not apply to the powertrain. The repair was estimated around 2k, not sure why so expensive or what the deal is there.

As it turns out, my vehicle also has an "emissions" warranty from the factory of which this repair was covered. The part wasn't something that was in stock so it'll be 5-7 days and then I can have my vehicle repaired, and I've re-confirmed at NO CHARGE.

Thanks for listening!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts