Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so right now my tribute is sleeping under a blanket for the winter (as I am off at school right now...) so I figure now is as good a time as any to raise this question... I was just reading Squishy's common problem's thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=259 and I'm not sure if my problem falls under the "Rough idle/engine dies" or "2001-2003 T - Idle dip & stall (01-014/02R)" but here is what happens SOMETIMES... this is a strange problem because it is rare for me... but sometimes when it is/has rained a lot I will go to start my truck and it will start then the rpm's will fall past normal idle speed and it will die... this usually happens repeatedly and the only way to stop it is to put it in neutral and start it and then shift to drive and get on the gas quick... (I have only had to start it like that twice) but it has happened to me on rainy days, after a big car wash, and just occasions like that. Again this does not happen every time it rains but if there is a solution out there for this I would love to solve it! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
This "only wet" condition makes me think of an electrical problem. You can try getting one of those spray bottles like window cleaner comes in and spraying a mist around parts of the engine bay to see if you can track down the problem. There is a known problem of water entering the coil boots and grounding out the spark plugs, but that usually happens after driving in heavy rain - not when parked. Something could be grounding out the signal to the IAC valve or power to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow thanks for the quick response, love this place! Ok so if I go by the diagrams posted in viewtopic.php?f=24&t=112 and trouble shoot areas I should be able to find my problem? I agree with you in saying it's not the coil packs because in the summer I detail the truck at a chevy dealership my buddy works at and we always shampoo the engine bay and (we cover the electrical parts) but ya it starts up no problem after the cleaning which is what makes this even stranger so it must be a specific area in the engine bay causing it, I will check the IAC valve, thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts