Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier re this but I keep replacing parts to no avail. Ive got an 01 Tribute with the 2.0 engine. The engine idles smoothly, accelerates smoothly and even cruises dwon the interstate smoothly (3000+ rpm), otherwise it misfires and stutters constantly. Especially noticable between 1800 and 2500 rpm. Relpaced plugs, no help, wires, no help, fuel filter, no help, and just replaced the ignition coil no help. I now feel like I am throwing money away and getting nowhere fast. Can anyone think what might cause this and do so without tripping my check engine light? I cant afford to keep replacing things randomly and not getting anywhere......Any thoughts are appreciated..

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have a mechanic check the fuel pressure when it is misfiring if possible...in my previous car it would misfire when the pressure was low (and only when it was misfiring it was low, otherwise it would read normally and drive fine) and that was due to a failing fuel pump, which your symptoms sound very much like. It would misfire around the same RPM as yours. I replaced the spark plugs and COPs and other ignition components on it and it still did it. I got a code (check engine light) only one time stating "low fuel rail pressure". I find it very odd that there is no check engine light or any codes from yours. Do you smell gas from the engine bay when its misfiring?

·
Registered
482 Posts
A clogged injector can cause a misfire without throwing a code.

As long as the signal for the injector to fire is being sent, you won't get a code. It doesn't matter if the injector squirted fuel or not. No fuel squirt = misfire.

The connector to the injector could also be loose. Same as above, the CPU won't know that the injector isn't getting the signal to squirt fuel.

I would try there. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Did you replace the intake seals?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Low to middle range abnormal engine operation is ussually not happenning because of electric or electronic malfunction, but it is rather caused by fuel supply and exhaust issues, which symptoms are there at higher revs but are very difficult to sense.
I can almost bet that fuel consumption has risen somewhat with the symptoms I read.
Fuel supply check and exhaust check includes the valves seatings too.
Fuel pressure check, exhaust check and cylinder pressure check is where I would concentrate my search.It is a 2001 vehicle after all.A cylinder pressure check if diagnosed and translated properly by a knowledgable mechanic can pin point the causes of most issues.

·
Registered
191 Posts
red5033 said:
... Relpaced plugs, no help, wires, no help, fuel filter, no help, and just replaced the ignition coil no help. I now feel like I am throwing money away and getting nowhere fast. ...
That's kinda the risk of trying to do it yourself. No check engine light doesn't help either. But you haven't really thrown away any money - that stuff ought to be done anyway as regular maintenance & you've pretty much covered the ignition system (assuming quality/correct parts were installed). Anyway, now you can move on to the other suggestions: intake gaskets & fuel.

On my Escape 2.0L 5MT, the alternator has to be removed to install the intake gaskets. If there isn't a handy schrader valve on the fuel rail, you'll probably have to have a mechanic check the fuel pressure... unless you're up to temporarily installing a pressure tester kit. The repair manual has resistance checks for the injectors.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Some codes are thrown that do not trip the Service Engine light. It's worth a shot to take it to a dealer or an auto parts store and have them check to see if any codes are being thrown.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will look at the fuel injectors (or have mechanic) and I guess I will replace the intake gasget. I am just perplexed that it can idle so smooth and accelerate so smooth yet when cruising down the road the engine can stumble and misfire constantly. Give it some gas an it doesnt mis a beat. My gas mileage has not changed a bit either. I fact my last tank was 26mpg. It has plenty of power too and accellerates like a dream. Anyway I will keep replacing things until I get it right. I hate to take it to the dealer because I can already see where that will go. Thanks for all the reponces...

Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts