Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and found lots of nice info here !!! Still, I am having a problem when shifting (manual transmission) with my 2001 Escape 2.0L. In fact, whatever speed I'm driving in and at whatever RPM, if I press on the clutch pedal and keep it this way, my RPM will increase or decrease (according to the engine speed I was) to about 2,000 RPM for maybe two seconds or so before going down slowly after.

The other cars I had, whenever I would press on the clutch pedal, the RPM would go down right away, so my guess is it's not normal that the engine speed even go up when I press the clutch and get to neutral. But if I'm at a stop (0 mph) and I press the clutch pedal, it doesn't happen, so it is only when the car is moving at maybe 10 mph and over.

So what should I be looking for ??? I have absolutely no clue what could it be.... The car has been doing this since I have it, so maybe 15 000 miles.

Thanks in advance for any input !!!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Only so many things that can make RPMs increase. The throttle, IAC and engine timing but there might be others too. You'd need a scanner to monitor the TPS, IAC and engine timing for a starter.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
First of all welcome to the city! :welcome:

Normal operation for mine is when I depress the clutch at higher speed it will not immediately drop down, but kind of hover for a bit then decrease, I suspect it's programmed to do that in anticipation of a gear change.

I've had an issue like what you describe only more severe, and I have the same year/ and Engine as you I believe. I would clutch out and watch it rev up into 3k or so rpm range briefly. It was some kind of sensor but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. It finally got bad enough to trigger the check engine light and it got fixed at that point.

Sorry I can't be more specific. :doh:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts