Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should my engine temperature be around? My SGIIxG says that its around 193 degrees when warm, though I've seen it go + 5 degrees or so on the highway or after long distance driving...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
your engine temp should decrease on the highway. thats when you receive the most air flow over your Rad. since north america cant decide of C or F. i do know my wifes digital readout is almost always at 88deg. + or - 5deg. the guage on the escape seems to stay pretty steady on mine no matter what the temperature and ive been stuck in rush hour to cruising open country roads.

·
Registered
611 Posts
CrashNburn said:
your engine temp should decrease on the highway. thats when you receive the most air flow over your Rad....
This is correct in theory, only. On the highway, when the engine gets thoroughly warmed up. Your cooling fans don't work at all. (they don't need too) But again, that's where the thermostat comes into play. When it gets hot, the stat opens. When it's cool enough, it closes. Doesn't matter if your going 60 or a 100. It (thermostat) will open and close as needed and in stop/go traffic, the fans will come on as needed.
Now then, according to my scan-gauge-I. If the outside temperature is in the 50's. My engine temp stays around 193 to 195 degrees. But in the summer it gets to 198 degrees and stays there. That includes city or highway. I've not been on a long trip in cooler weather. But, I would expect it to reach 198 degrees.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I use the digital read out on the dash and my tribute always stays between 99C and 102C.
Thats about middle of the analog guage

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,621 Posts
Tribby said:
I use the digital read out on the dash and my tribute always stays between 99C and 102C.
Thats about middle of the analog guage
jhande08 said:
Wow Tribby! That's HOT!
Actually, that isn't that bad. You have to remember that your engine cooling system is pressurized to about 15 psig or so. So you would not encounter the liquid to steam phase change until well above 100 C (or 212 F). If the engine cooling system were NOT pressurized, then having an engine temperature that high would be a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
It did the exact same things for me PK! I saw an increase of about 2mpg on average just by watching the way I drive. Definitely going to be a nice return on investment.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scooter Scott said:
My ScanGauge says that my temp is staying right around 193-195F
Guys, today when I was parking at my school, my engine temperature steadily rose to 215 degrees F. Does that indicate something is wrong?

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
maybe your thermostat got stuck shut or something...have you checked your coolant level lately?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I didn't have a SCIIxG how would I have even known that the water temperature was rising???

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I never opened it. I just hope it was a fluke thing. When I drove it to the tint shop yesterday everything was steady aroudn 193-195 again. Don't know why I saw such high numbers before though...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.