Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... so we all know why we love our Escapes.. but what ticks you off? What do you wish they would "get right".

Let me gte the ball rolling

1) I hate where the headlight switch is. I hit it with my knee all the time, turning off my fogs.

2) The gear shifter on all auto fords! I HATE that you have to depress a button to slap it in to neutral.

3) The glare off the dashboard in bright daylight.

4) The remote start not operating as it should (I fixed that one already)

5) That a cargo cover isn't included as a standard feature.

adjusted by WeeBee

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I want to know why the space in the rear cargo floor doesn't have a storage compartment as standard in non hybrid models. Why would they install a big plastic spacer when a compartment would be just as easy to install. Last time I priced this out Ford wanted $600 for the compartment and door. :wall:
I'm also a little irked by the fact that there is no map light or courtesy lights in the front of my Escape, again optional to have interior lighting you can reach easily. :wall:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
1) In the 08s there isn't a rear hatch handle so i cant wait til the little rubber button wears out and creates some sort of problem.

2) E/M/T's need tl be more road noise quiet especially in door pillars where front and rear doors meet. ALSO the rear cargo area. As that's where I can see the ground. Just lift up the carpet and look past the black plastic cover in the bottom corners.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My only annoyance is that Ford stopped selling them over here after late 2003.... :rant:

Missed out on the twin headlamps, No Boundries, and the 3rd gen.......... :doh: :mad: :cry:

·
Registered
781 Posts
When driving away from the sun, I often get a direct reflection coming in from the driverside window and hitting the plastic covering the speedo. Get it when it's high noon too, coming in the top of the windshield, but that can be fixed with the sun visor.

No key hole on the passenger door. I may be the only one, but my Tribby didn't come with the keyless entry so I have to walk around and unlock from the driverside if I want to put something in the car.

Would love a walet cubby under the headlight switch. It seems like every car is starting to come with this. I hate sitting on my walet while driving as it eventually puts my butt to sleep. Had a loner Mazda3, base, the other day and it had one, which reminded how much I enjoyed it in my old car.

·
Super Moderator
4,737 Posts
That's a problem with a few models from Ford. One thing to be careful about is using a cleaner on your dash that can make matters worse like Armour All.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but the seats in my 02 XLS are not very comfortable. They're not terrible, but have very little padding on them. I also don't like the vinyl that covers the seat bolsters. I might go to a junkyard and pick up the leather seats from a junker or something.

Also, why couldn't Ford put any stinking padding on the door's armrest? I put my elbow there while driving and it's killing me after being in the car for a while.

Edit: Just thought of another one. I put my right elbow on the center console top while driving, which thankfully is padded; however, the center console makes tons of noises while I'm driving unless I lift my elbow off it.

Overall, it's been good so far. Kind of nice that my biggest complaints are about armrests.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I hated the original equipment Firestone tires that came with my '01. Lasted about 12,000 miles, which I'm sure is deliberate. I don't like the fact that the gear shift covers some of the radio controls when the car is in drive.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
The cloth seats in my 05 stain from anything: I swear that spilled water leaves a mark on them! Also, the drivers seat, on the right side bolster, had part of the frame uncovered by padding (may just be an assembly area). If I squirm around enough on a long drive, I'll get it poking right in my shoulder blade.

Also, the CD4E transmission is horrible.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Cloth Seats (yep they stain like crazy and I clean like crazy)
Not enough storage space (without laying the back seats down)
Armrests (as said before)
Not all that comfortable (seats are a bit stiff)
Fuel Tank Capacity (would have liked about 22-25 gal. instead of 16)
No Fuel Cap (what were they thinking on this one? now I have to purchase one)

I'm sure I'll think of more while I'm going to work tonight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No cargo tie downs in the back.This bothers me every day. Thinking about a homebrew mod to fix this one.

Also, the antiquated process for folding down the seats.remove the headrest, flip out and up the seat bottom, fold fown the seat back. Due to the way the seats fold down, and the 8 or so inches of space that the flipped up seat bottoms take up I wasn't able to fit my new 50 inch plasma in there. I had to call my dad to bring his "real" truck. His words not ine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Forde said:
No cargo tie downs in the back.This bothers me every day. Thinking about a homebrew mod to fix this one.
If you have the metal rings built into each of the four corners of the cargo area (like mine does) then you can simply go out and get some bungee cords with hooks on both ends, and hook them up in an X configuration. This would also work by hooking one end of the cords onto the headrests of the rear seats, for larger cargo.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My main annoyances are:

1) Engine whine. I don't know if this is just a feature of the V6 engine or not, but there is a constant whine that gets on my nerves after a while. Engine and road noise overall is a definite minus in the Tribumarinescapericks.

2) The remote key lock never works properly. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I've given up and have been sticking the key in the door and turning it to lock/unlock, like the cars of old...

3) The fuel tank is quite small. I wish there was a larger capacity.

4) Playing music with any sort of bass rattles the passenger side door like I've got a really angry rattlesnake in the cabin. Can't fix it without expensive and time-consuming deadening mats or something.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I keep my back seats down most of the time, however, I don't have any kids. I just place the head rest in the closet. I also keep a storage box in the back of the rig with all my gear.

2belo have you changed the battery in the key remote. My wife had to change hers in the Ranger and it fixed the remote problems.

·
Registered
99 Posts
(2009 XLT)

No telescoping steering wheel

Tiny glove box

rear wiper motor obstructs view when backing up

·
Registered
250 Posts
megascape said:
2belo have you changed the battery in the key remote.
When I bought the rig back in January, the dealer assured me that he had changed the battery in the key. And for the first couple of days, it worked fine once I did the "turn the ignition on and off eight times to reset the remote" trick. But then I opened and closed the trunk door once, and after that, it stopped working for a few days, at which point it suddenly decided to work again. Rinse, repeat.

So I don't know what's going on, and I'm going to have to pay a visit to the local Ford guys and have them take a look. Not having the remote key lock drives me bug-buggering crazy.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Ginormous gap between center dash and door trim. I can put a finger in there!

For the shifter remark... I wonder if it's possible to switch shifters?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
markhampete said:
(2009 XLT)

No telescoping steering wheel

Tiny glove box

rear wiper motor obstructs view when backing up
right on the money on all 3!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts