Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I know my escape engine is not exactly big or flashy, I just need some honest recommendations for the grade of engine oil to use as everytime i send the car for an oil change, the mechanic try to sell me what oil is the best. Even better, at my last service, when i asked about what oil was used, both mechanics looked at each other and asked "so what oil do we have sitting out there today? oh yea thats it."

heres the history,
got the car at 82000 km, changed to 15W40,
next serviced at 90000km, changed to 15W50

ford manual says 10W-30 / 10W-40

summer temp is 20 to 40 degrees C and winter from 2 to 20 degrees C

any comments is good, thanks!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I would insist on the Ford Recommended Oil per your manual.
So in AU your manual states 10w-30/40?
Here in the states they are recommending 5W-20.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello techy. :hi:
I would like to recommend " PENRITE ".

My escape is an 06XLT 2.3L.
Have been using " Penrite ", for at least three years.
It is an australian product.

My service tech recommended this oil.
There have been no problems, induced on the engine by using penrite.
Quite aware everyone has their preferences.
Anyway welcome to this site. :welcome: :thumb: :beer:

·
Registered
191 Posts
LX302 said:
I would insist on the Ford Recommended Oil per your manual.
So in AU your manual states 10w-30/40?
Here in the states they are recommending 5W-20.
When I first got my 2002 Escape a few years ago and started frequenting the various Ford forums, it had been reported here n there that the original recommended oil for the Escape when it first debuted was 10W-30. So I contacted various overseas forum members (Australia & the UK), and they stated that the owner's manual specified 10W-30 but the oil filler cap was labeled w 5W-20. Supposedly, 5W-20 wasn't readily available back in 2000. One reason stated by others for the 5W-20 recommendation is that the lighter grade of oil yields a higher fuel economy in regards to Ford's overall Fleet mpg numbers as reported to the Federal agencies. A lot of folks have stuck w the 5W-20 and have reported no problems, including a few in Arizona who have high mileage vehicles. But a heavier oil can probably be used w no ill effects. I stick w the 5W-20 during Winter, but use 5W-30 in the Summer - it gets hot in Texas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
10w30 in winter 10w40 in summer

50% coolant 50% water in summer, 75% coolant 25% water in winter

Tire pressure 35 psi summer, 30 psi winter.

mix 3 gallons of washer fluid 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol add 2 cups windex. In winter use the same but add 1 cup windex 1 cup antifreeze.

These are hard and fast rules for vehicle maintainance that I have used all of my life.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I guess i'll wait till the next service change to change my 20W50 to 10W40 for my 2.3L, any shortcomings using the 20W50 oil? i'm doing a 2500km trip probably in 35deg heat soon.

and yes the 5w20 is the recommendation here too but for the v6 engine.

cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have used Mobil1 in all my cars. They make a 5w20. I've been fairly satisfied with mobil 1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts