Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello! I've been lurking on this forum for the past couple days; doing some research on Escapes, since in my 'new used car' searches, I've been led to them.

As I just said, I'm in the market for getting a "new" used car. I've been driving my 1993 Chevy Lumina Euro Sport since I was 16 (in 2006). Bought it with 54,000 miles on it (yup, 54,000!), and now it's at 112,000k, and poor Lucille is just getting old and tired. She recently got sideswiped, and I'm just sensing her time is near. I live in Michigan's upper peninsula, and I'm looking for a 4wd SUV that isn't too giant. I've got a budget that ABSOLUTELY stops at about 9,500, and I'd rather spend less than that.

Aaaanyway, I've been reading various Escape forums and it seems other than some transmission blowing out for no reason issues (which is scary but appears to be the minority) that Escapes seem to be very reliable and relatively cheap to maintain (as opposed to Subarus, which I was also looking at, but people on Subaru boards warned another student against them due to high repair cost).

So I'd like to ask the experts: Is a 2001-2005 era Escape with likely over 100k miles a good buy for a broke college student? I know absolute squat about fixing my own vehicles, and I don't really have time to spend hours tinkering with my car, either (yay nursing school!) I do, however, have a legit mechanic who treats me well, does good work, and doesn't charge out the ying-yang. I understand that every single specific Escape will be different, depending on how it was treated, maintenance, etc, but from a general standpoint, does it seem like a good buy?

Here's an example of something I'd be looking at: http://www.iseecars.com/Car_Listing/1758564992/2005_Ford_Escape_XLT_CUSTER_WI.html

Thanks everyone for any input you may have!

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the City! I am also a college student (junior) I got my Escape (Ean) 2 summers ago. I got him for around 11,000 or so. I am very very very happy with my decision to get an Escape. I did a lot of research before hand. Thus far the only issues I've had is minor things, which are to be expected such as brakes. I've taken care of Ean and he had only one previous owner. I bought him with about 56,000 miles on him and he is an '05. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. I looked at the link you provided with the Escape. I would say look around some more. See what is out there. I was eager to get my Escape and almost went with a bad deal. I'm not saying that one is a bad deal, just look around. I don't know your area very well. As a college student I can afford Ean and any costs he may have, which luckily for me haven't been many. Happy Escape shopping and good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there! I recognize you from reading older posts lol. I mostly provided that link as a sort of "general" idea as to what I'm looking at for the price. Ideally, I'd like less miles and whatnot, and my heart is not set on *that* specific one. My dream Escape is either yellow or that burnt orange color, lol. I'm glad to hear that Ean is doing well, and I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only one that names my car! Lucille says "hi." I'm really looking forward to a new vehicle, as I didn't get much say in what my parents got me for my 16th birthday, not that I minded. They were BUYING me a CAR lol.

Quick question if you don't mind, you don't need to give me specific numbers, but how is insurance on Ean? My parents are graciously offering to pay my car insurance until I graduate college, as I already work and have a really tough school schedule. I'd like to not slam them with horrific base insurance rates. I mean obviously it'll be different per person because of driving records, but I guess a general idea would be nice :D.

Btw, Ean looks very spiffy. A handsome gentleman, for sure.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
The burnt orange color comes in the '07 model. So that will probably be out of your range possibly. Less miles would be ideal. I have named all of my cars lol. Even the place I take him to for any oil changes or issues know him by name :lol:

To your question of insurance. If you will be making payments, you will have to get full coverage. Ean has full coverage with States Farm for about $500 for 6 months. Break down per month would be around $75ish. I did all the things State Farms has young drivers do for their discounts though. I also have the good student and other discounts. Overall though the insurance isn't bad for full coverage. I also have other stuff added.

Ean says Hi to Lucille :blush: :lol: and thank you for the compliments!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$500 for 6 months for full insurance? Not bad at all! I think it's about $54/month for PLPD on Lucille, so I don't think my parents will balk at that for full coverage, because I most certainly will be getting a loan. Oddly enough, wiping elderly people DOESN'T pay well :(. And I have good grades as I have to keep a B average to keep my full-ride scholarship, so that won't be an issue. Ugh! I can't wait to get a new Escape!

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
I'm glad things will work out. Like I said before look around though. I was eager to get my Escape too and almost went with one that was much worse. Ean was a steal. I found him and I am so happy! :D I hope you find an awesome escape! :thumb: Also hope you stick around the City and update us with pics and ofcourse a name! I joined back in Aug and have made many great friends and learned a lot about Ean. :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will for sure stick around. After lurking here everyone seems really nice and helpful. I'll totally post pics when I do get my Escape, but it'll probably be in Janurary/February, after my student loans come in and I can pay off my current outstanding debts before applying for a loan.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
:yes:

Okay! You win. Plenty of addicts on this site. :p

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
For someone who has moved at least six times in the last three years and just graduated in May, I can tell you the Escape is a stellar vehicle for someone in college... especially when it comes to moving stuff.

I'm from Ann Arbor!

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Hello and :welcome:

I would definitely recommend an Escape, the only drawback is the relatively poor gas mileage of the V6 which might be high for a college student, my 2wd model gets 19 mpg in the city. But if you don't have a 100 mile commute you'll be fine.

I probebly would not recommend that Escape due to the high miles. I recommend looking on AutoTrader.com. I searched Bay City, MI 48708 (random UP city) and found 52 4x4 Escapes below $9000, one good example being this green 2006 Escape. There's even a hybrid in there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Welcome to the city chapstick. :welcome:
I recommend the escape, as a new second hand vehicle.
Properly maintained, the escapes seem quite reliable.

The trick is in preferably, keeping on top of repairs.
I regard it as " nipping it in the bud".
If you can, try to fix things before they complicate.

My apology for size of text.
I actually wear reading glasses.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
jonas1022 said:
:yes:

Okay! You win. Plenty of addicts on this site. :p
Hey now, I can quit any time I want to! Really, I can. :whistle:

Welcome chapstickaddict, my view of the Escape is it's a good vehicle for anyone wanting a first car on their own. (It was for me.)

To give you an idea just how durable these things can be, I've been driving it since I learned how to drive (Started when I was 16, I'm now 23), I was hard on the clutch (It's a stick shift) and hard on the brakes. Since then I've been harder on my poor truck. I've ignored speed bumps, drove quickly on gravel roads, hit water at speed, off road it, hung it up in ruts and ditches, jumped it, drifted it, and learned a maneuver called the Scandinavian flick, which I'm sure is terrible on the drive train. I've tipped it up on it's side (no damage other than a new wheel) and it's had the front end replaced about 3 times due to several things running out in front of me, like 2 deer at once, a Chevy Tahoe, and a large cow.

Right now I have not had to replace anything major, it has about 154k miles, however I'm looking to go over the suspension sometime soon as I've worn several things out under there. I also have a time bomb in the head gasket, it may or may not blow but it is leaking slowly. Drive like a sane person and I don't see any reason for any of those things to go wrong. Only things it has had replaced major in those 154k miles is tie rod ends (OEM did not have a grease fitting, new ones do.) I think all the brakes have been replaced once, and a few minor odds and ends that did not amount to much.

My philosophy on this Escape though is I'm going to keep it till it just won't go anymore, if a part breaks I'll replace it with something hopefully better, and no matter what it costs me I probably won't get a better vehicle for less than what this one will cost to keep on the road.

Good luck finding an Escape, I'm sure if you looked this hard at it already that you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Our 2002 was pretty reliable. It never, ever left us stranded. The only reason we disposed of it was because it was beginning to show the signs of dealing with Buffalo winters. Needed a bit of rust repair, couple not-so-major, but not minor miscellaneous repairs. We got 8 years out of it, and were happy to upgrade. Plus, the Escapes (yes, plural) we own now have a concept of fuel economy the 2002 had no idea about.

As others have said, beware of V6 fuel economy on the older models. Other than that, I have a 2011 and I'm working on a masters program, loving every minute of it. I've driven it across New York to visit colleges, and I felt zero fatigue. Plus, it attracted the attention of a kind lady in Syracuse... but... uh... that's another story!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts