12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
277 Posts
jpark said:
Escape Hybrid wins again.
Was there any doubt?!? ;-|

I was pleasantly surprised when, after the first twelve months of ownership (back in October 2005) I calculated our fuel costs over the 20,000 km (12,430 miles) travelled and compared it to what was reasonable mileage assumptions for a similar V6 Escape -- we saved just over $900 in fuel costs at that time, with the pump price averaging just under $1 per litre (about $3.75 per U.S. gallon).

Since then fuel costs have continued their upward climb, and we crossed the $1,000 mark in fuel cost savings in year two. Year three was above $1,100 and we will certainly be seeing significant "gains" again this year (current pump price is at $1.32 per litre, or $5 per U.S. gallon). "Payback" of the hybrid premium will be realised by next year.

Who would have thought the prices would climb so steadily? If anyone would have predicted this situation in 2004, they would have been declared loco. I'm not sure what the future holds, but it is likely that the trend will be ever upwards over time -- now I'm ready for another significant jump in fuel economy over the current hybrids. So Ford, where are the plug-in Escape Hybrids?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the movie Real Genius:

Professor Hathaway: "It's coming."

Major Carnagle: "It's coming? HAH!!! It's not even breathing hard!"

:bill:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
So, are there any cons on hybrid vehicles? Everything I read is good and makes me want one, but any cons? (Besides the sticker price being higher than a non-hybrid).

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
When the Escape Hybrid first was introduced I looked at the $. Did all the ROI calculations, including the dollars invested in alternate endeavors and simply decided to forgo that decision. Gas has $ climbed, interest rates on loans are higher, and the price of an Hybrid has increased. So I'm thinking that it could be, if you keep a car, in this case the Hybrid for the full life expectancy of the vehicle. If you like to trade every few years, or do leases. I would say, it is probably not the best business decison. Depends on how long you keep it. And to amortize the expense of the Hybrid takes some time. Maybe 3-4 years. And the return on the 4th or 5th years is going to be lower than the return on putting additional money in the Mutual Fund Accounts (instead of a Hybrid purchase/lease). Each Escape is going to be different. Compare it to a relatively stripped 4 cylinder auto Escape, the Hybrid is a definite no. The price differential is too great to make up in say five years. :cry: And I want one, but the numbers aren't there yet. Maybe, for me and my wife in the next year. Clear? :roll:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Yep, I see exactly what you're saying. Thanks for your response! :beer:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wanted to lease one last summer. No such luck. When they're selling at sticker or higher, dealers have no desire to let one go on a lease.

·
Registered
277 Posts
jonas1022 said:
Compare it to a relatively stripped 4 cylinder auto Escape, the Hybrid is a definite no. The price differential is too great to make up in say five years.
Why would you compare it to a stripped 4-cylinder Escape? Ford themselves compare the Hybrid to a V6 Escape, declaring it provides the power & performance of the 6-cylinder while providing better mileage and emissions than the I4.

Also, the Hybrid model has always been outfitted considerably better than the 4-cylinder, so the comparison is apples - to - oranges.

To each their own… but with the steady increase in petroleum prices (and dropping prices here in Canada thanks to the falling U.S. dollar) I suspect that many more will be asking for brochures on the hybrid model in the years to come. The improvements in the 2009 even have us considering whether it may be time to upgrade from the 2005.

:wave:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
HybridArchitect said:
jonas1022 said:
Compare it to a relatively stripped 4 cylinder auto Escape, the Hybrid is a definite no. The price differential is too great to make up in say five years.
Why would you compare it to a stripped 4-cylinder Escape? Ford themselves compare the Hybrid to a V6 Escape, declaring it provides the power & performance of the 6-cylinder while providing better mileage and emissions than the I4.

Also, the Hybrid model has always been outfitted considerably better than the 4-cylinder, so the comparison is apples - to - oranges.

To each their own… but with the steady increase in petroleum prices (and dropping prices here in Canada thanks to the falling U.S. dollar) I suspect that many more will be asking for brochures on the hybrid model in the years to come. The improvements in the 2009 even have us considering whether it may be time to upgrade from the 2005.

:wave:
It couldnt hurt to sell your 2005. What with the improved demand for the sippers. Your bound to do well on resale. But can you get a new one. I understand they are sold out for several months of production. Or is that just a well placed rumour? Dealers around here have not been asking ADMs, but if the gas prices go up much more, they probably will.

Stripper four cylinder? One; I posted that for the price differential. XLT being on the bottom rung of Escapes isn't exactly a stripper. It's still well equipped. And the 09 2.5L four cylinder is alot more peppy than the old 2.3L four. The other reason is; if your looking for fuel economy, your surely not going to look at the six. That is dyametrically opposed to the arguement of being fuel frugal. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts