Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing through an Aussie forum a couple of days ago and came across a report on a recent trip which involved following in the footsteps of an early Australian explorer through the Great Victoria Desert. The trip was done with 7 vehicles in all and of course one was an Escape.
The Great Victoria Desert is the largest desert in Australia...about twice the size of Utah. I'm waiting for the guy to complete his trip report in more detail but you'll get the idea from this post:

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index...om-the-gt-victoria-desert/page__gopid__148642

There are over 600 pics but the Escape does star in a few of them... as do a couple of dingoes, camels, kangaroos.. and of course the members of the group.

The photo album of the trip can be found here:
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/DuncanW58/GreatVictoriaDesertDrHicksRange26JuneTo10July2010#

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
That's pretty COOL! :thumb:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Nice!! thanx for the link!

Why do they put a piece of fabric(like mesh) in front of the car? to avoid insects and alike enter the engine??

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
molanojuan said:
Nice!! thanx for the link!

Why do they put a piece of fabric(like mesh) in front of the car? to avoid insects and alike enter the engine??

It's there to stop a buildup of grass seeds in the radiators (leading to overheating). As you can see in a lot of photos, the "roads" are really nothing more than tracks so they would be pushing through a lot of desert grasses most of the time. The leader of the trip tells me that they had to stop every few hours, not only to get rid of the grass seeds from the mesh cloth at the front but to clear out the grass from under the vehicles as well. A build up of this stuff under the cars is a very common cause of grass fires (as well as vehicle fires).

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanx christophera, i had no idea that grass seed could led to overheating, and grass to fires... :fire: :lol:

Anyway, really cool to do that trip.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
molanojuan said:
Thanx christophera, i had no idea that grass seed could led to overheating, and grass to fires... :fire: :lol:

Anyway, really cool to do that trip.
Yep. These are from a series of pics of a vehicle fire apparently caused by a build-up of spinifex (desert grass) underneath the car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Airmapper said:
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I got to visit Australia, it has to be the all around coolest place on the planet for people who love the outdoors.
Sssshhhhh.... Don't tell everyone or they'll all want to come...

Seriously...I do know how lucky we are, and visitors are always welcome.

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
We have that same secret in WA state..People think it rains all year but it only rains 6 to 9 months. I think it's the most beautiful state in the US.

Being an Aussi, what type of music do you like. guttermouth has a huge following in in Aussi. have you heard of them?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm.. Washington state.. my ex-wife lives there...not much chance me visiting I'm afraid :)

Can't say I've ever heard of Guttermouth. But then I'm more of a country fan.

I lived in Texas for a while and it kinda rubbed off on me. :shades:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
a very good reason not to visit, I have one of them in Ca. Never do I allow myself to go South!! :)

Have you heard of camel 4X4 and adventure? they are an Aussi company that is looking into making a 2" lift for the '08 to present Escapes. I think they are a subsidiary of Ironman?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts