Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm getting new tires put on tomorrow because the Contis suck, and I live on a hill. I got a great deal on Michelin LTX M S2 tires, so I'm excited.

Part of why I'm getting new tires is because my Contis are really edge worn. when you look at them, you can clearly see less tread on the outside. I'm not sure if this was from underinflation or if it could be an alignment/camber/control arm issue... Ideas? To the best of my knowledge tire pressures have been fine, but my grandmother gave me the car (hence the name). I'm torn between spending $70 for an alignment, but would hate to kill this set of tires. I'm also prepping to drive 900 miles home in a few weeks, so I want everything to be in order.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
GrandmasCar said:
Hey guys,

I'm getting new tires put on tomorrow because the Contis suck, and I live on a hill. I got a great deal on Michelin LTX M S2 tires, so I'm excited.

Part of why I'm getting new tires is because my Contis are really edge worn. when you look at them, you can clearly see less tread on the outside. I'm not sure if this was from underinflation or if it could be an alignment/camber/control arm issue... Ideas? To the best of my knowledge tire pressures have been fine, but my grandmother gave me the car (hence the name). I'm torn between spending $70 for an alignment, but would hate to kill this set of tires. I'm also prepping to drive 900 miles home in a few weeks, so I want everything to be in order.

Thanks
Definitely get your alignment checked. Excessive wear on the outside edge indicates overly-positive camber (i.e., the top of your tire is further out from your car than the bottom part).

·
Registered
288 Posts
So let's see if I got this right: you got a smokin' deal on a new set of tires, and you want everything to be in order, but you don't want to spring for a wheel alignment??? Do you WANT to wear out your new tires? Listen.....do yourself (and your wallet) a favour and get the new tires, then get the wheels aligned! This is a no brainer, bud. :)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Last time I got an alignment it was $50, and they charged me extra for having a 4x4.

Other things I hear can wear tires are worn shocks and other suspension parts.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Get the alignment. And make sure you check your tire pressure regularly. And rotate the tires according to Ford's instructions. :rockon:

·
Registered
758 Posts
I can't speak for the 04 model year but the 05 vehicles came with the "toe-in" alignment which wears the inner aspect of the front tires. I had mine corrected early on.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hi GrandmasCar!. :hi: :welcome:

##
It also might be practical, to check your tie rod ends, plus the rack ends.
Basically that the rack end bushes, including tie rod end bushes, do not have any play in them.
Ideally you do not want any slop in them.

I mentioned all of that for a reason.
Noticed that you have an 04 escape.
My escape is an 06 assembly model.

Both my rack ends, had noticeable slop in the bushes.
I was at the mechanics today.
He replaced the old rack ends, with a pair of new rack ends.
After that repair, i had a wheel alignment.

Hopefully on your 04 escape, the tie rod and rack end bushes are safe.
It might be prudent, that you check them to see if there is any play.
You definitely do not want, those bushes to have any slop.

·
Registered
467 Posts
in all cases, when he'll go for the alignment, the technician will toroughly check the suspension for any play in it as he can't align a car with play in suspension parts.

So go for the alignment and you'll know if parts have to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
With less tread on the outside I would first think of a positive camber angle as slavrenz mentioned.
Mechanical parts wear, like tie rods and bushings would also affect the steering feeling and the breaking pulling on one side.
I consider it of paramount importance not to go to any allignment shop but to one recomemded by some friends which really and honestly take care of its customers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right now I'm ~900 miles from home, so I'm going based on reviews I'm reading online. I could go back to the place I had my O2 sensor replaced/exhaust holder reattached, but the tire place seems pretty decent too. If the tie rods etc need to be replaced, that would have to happen before the car can be aligned, correct?

When I had the O2 sensor etc done, I had him do an overall check of the vehicle, and he said I'm in good shape. I'll have the tire guys take a look at the suspension etc.

I know the rear shocks/struts were replaced a year or two ago. Updates to come, hopefully no :wall: and more :play:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
GrandmasCar said:
Right now I'm ~900 miles from home, so I'm going based on reviews I'm reading online. I could go back to the place I had my O2 sensor replaced/exhaust holder reattached, but the tire place seems pretty decent too. If the tie rods etc need to be replaced, that would have to happen before the car can be aligned, correct?

CORECT!!!

When I had the O2 sensor etc done, I had him do an overall check of the vehicle, and he said I'm in good shape. I'll have the tire guys take a look at the suspension etc.

I know the rear shocks/struts were replaced a year or two ago. Updates to come, hopefully no :wall: and more :play:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
GrandmasCar said:
Alignment and the new tires fixed everything. Car feels brand new now... possibly better than new.
I'm sure grandma is proud.
All the best for many safe miles.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. She is pumped that I got good tires/am safer haha.
I'll do a comprehensive tire review once I complete the break in process etc. So far, best tires ever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts