Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but found no results on this forum, so I apologize if it's been covered. I don't know if it's standard in all Escapes, but mine has a USB port to allow Sync access to an external drive.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how big of an external drive that port will power. Can it only handle small flash-based drives, or will it run a hard drive (like a 80GB laptop drive, for example)?

Also, how smooth is the navigation between folders/files and transitioning from one song to another? Is it as slow as the CD changer?

Thank you for any assistance.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Don't know specifically about the SYNC setup, but I can tell you that a typical external harddrive needs more power. The best solution is to use a 12V outlet device that has a couple USB connections to it as well. This will have enough juice. They are cheap, too. To run one of these, you will take a USB splitter made for the job, which one will tap into the head unit, and one will tap to the outlet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It should be able to power any device that can run off the juice from the USB cable only. That means the external drives like the western digital passport series or anything like that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So where is this external USB port found on our cars? Specifically 09 w/out NAV 7 speaker SYNC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nicker22 said:
song transition is smooth, same as a cd .
Do you have single-CD, or 6-disc changer? I have the latter, and it's *not* a smooth transition.

Just curious why do you want to power a 80 GB HD ?
I have a lot of music. I have a 40GB HD in an enclosure already that came out of my wife's laptop when I upgraded her, so I suppose I can use that. It's powered by USB only.

So where is this external USB port found on our cars?
I have an '09 w/Sync, no nav. My USB port is located under the heat/air controls, next to the aux jack and traction control switch

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ceezer said:
I have an '09 w/Sync, no nav. My USB port is located under the heat/air controls, next to the aux jack and traction control switch
I mean the second port.

·
Registered
57 Posts
the second USB is on the accessory protocol interface module... no clue where that is at. Someone who's taken their dash apart would have to fill in that information.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks!!! :kneel:

·
Registered
82 Posts
cwitter said:
Its under the gear shift on the driver side. Theres a good article on taking apart the center console on here as well.

Craig
I have heard the same. In the console, just forward of the shifter, pretty much right under the tray that is fwd of the shifter. I picked up this cable:

and plan on doing it up in the spring when it warms up outside.

If you pull out the console bucket under the armrest you of course have that hidden area. If you reach in there, it feels like there is a solid wall about where the cupholders are. I entend on cutting a hole and mounting the female side of that cable to that, and of course the mini-B male end into the sync unit. End result should be a stable mounted regular USB port inside that lower area of the console which is a pretty ideal place to keep an attached 2.5" hard drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.