Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...or Audio-PILE?

I was wondering how I might overcome the poor (at best) sound quality of the sound system in my 07 XLT. With the audio controls set to neutral and the system set to "Driver" it still has WAY too much mid-base. Is there something that can be done other than replacing the head unit?

If not, what head units are out there that would take minimal modifications to put in without having to hack the wiring. I would hope there would be some kind of pig-tail that I could wire into the new head unit that would plug into the factory harness.

TIA

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not familier with this stock setup, maybe someone else will be more help. But with your unit, does your Eq allow you to tune bass, mid, and treble? Most now days are just bass and treble stock wise.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have my DSP on my stereo set to "All Seats", I have the bass set to 1 notch above flat, the treble about 3 notches above flat, and I have the "Ambiance" set to only half of 1 notch. Then, I rarely run the volume above 7.5 notches, as this is about as loud as the stereo can play without distortion or strain on the speakers. The factory deck also has an equalizer curve built into it's preamp stage, which actually cuts back the bass and other settings when you get closer to half volume. For example, if you setup your stereo the same as mine, you will notice that the Bass is louder at 4.5 notches on your volume, than it is at say, 5.5 or 6. That's why I set my bass just above flat, for most music anyways. Does your XLT have the subwoofer in it too, or just 4 6x8's? I have the system with the sub in my Limited, and there's a big difference from systems without it. Mind you, I've seen some XLT's with the Mach system (guess this is due to the person that first bought the vehicle spending the money for the upgrade).

Hope this info helps...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Davis137 said:
I have my DSP on my stereo set to "All Seats", I have the bass set to 1 notch above flat, the treble about 3 notches above flat, and I have the "Ambiance" set to only half of 1 notch. Then, I rarely run the volume above 7.5 notches, as this is about as loud as the stereo can play without distortion or strain on the speakers. The factory deck also has an equalizer curve built into it's preamp stage, which actually cuts back the bass and other settings when you get closer to half volume. For example, if you setup your stereo the same as mine, you will notice that the Bass is louder at 4.5 notches on your volume, than it is at say, 5.5 or 6. That's why I set my bass just above flat, for most music anyways.
I use similar settings, I always find the sound improves a litte if you set the fader to about 1 notch to the rear. It depends on the sound source fm,cd, etc. but I can crank my system through most of the volume without too much distortion.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
gman1868 said:
...or Audio-PILE?

I was wondering how I might overcome the poor (at best) sound quality of the sound system in my 07 XLT. With the audio controls set to neutral and the system set to "Driver" it still has WAY too much mid-base. Is there something that can be done other than replacing the head unit?

If not, what head units are out there that would take minimal modifications to put in without having to hack the wiring. I would hope there would be some kind of pig-tail that I could wire into the new head unit that would plug into the factory harness.

TIA
Gman, have you see the audio threads in this forum about this issue? The Head unit can be left in place during system upgrades, but it carries a high toll of distortion and frequency response issues. So check those threads out and see if you can get a handle on some possible upgrade steps. If you are just interested in setting the factory stuff up so it sounds halfway decent, I would recommend you invest a bit in sound deadening materials (also covered heavily in the threads already made) and go from there, see how it sounds.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the good advice.

I have to turn the bass down three notches to keep it from being to boomy. My head unit doesn't have the ambiance setting. The sound gets to much mid-bass if turn it up must past 2-3 notches on the volume control. I looked through the first 6 or so pages of the Audio/Video mods section and all the head units I see in pics are the LCD screen variety which I'm not really interested in. With factory stereo systems, unless it has a built-in EQ it's pretty tough to overcome the poor sound quality.

I suppose I'll have to look around for a local dealer in Minneapolis that is a reputable installer and is familiar with my car.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
gman1868 said:
Thanks for all the good advice.

I have to turn the bass down three notches to keep it from being to boomy. My head unit doesn't have the ambiance setting. The sound gets to much mid-bass if turn it up must past 2-3 notches on the volume control. I looked through the first 6 or so pages of the Audio/Video mods section and all the head units I see in pics are the LCD screen variety which I'm not really interested in. With factory stereo systems, unless it has a built-in EQ it's pretty tough to overcome the poor sound quality.

I suppose I'll have to look around for a local dealer in Minneapolis that is a reputable installer and is familiar with my car.
Actually you wouldn't believe me but most of that boomy sound can be tamed with proper deadening/sealing. It is a fact.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I vote audio-PILE. Unless you have the factory nav (as I do), you are going to want to get rid of the factory HU. If you really want to keep it, you should look into the 3sixty.2. I have built my system around the factory Nav HU using the 3sixty.2 so if you want to go that route let me know. This is a great forum because most (if not all) of us like to talk about this stuff and help people out. What is your budget, what kind of system are you looking for?

·
Registered
333 Posts
You will EASILY be able to find a good HU under $300. In fact, you can get pretty loaded up models from different brands in Canada for under $200 now. I think I paid around $300 installed for my parent's Arsenal HU, and that was less than half the price of the AR5000 I had in my Focus...

Let us know what happens!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts