Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that the factory HU puts out about 50 watts to all 4 speakers right? my question is if i set the fade all the way to the front is it actually supplying 50 watts to the front 2 speakers and none to the back 2? i want to replace the front door speakers with some alpine 5 x 7 that are rated at 50 watts rms. just wondering if it will be much gain over factory running them off the factory HU. i know i should get an amp to run them but i dont want to go that route, what do you guys think?

Cheers.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think the stocker puts out about 11.678632 watts. :D I would highly doubt it goes above 20 watts.

That said putting in after market speakers without any additional amps will not provide the desired sound you want. Trust me I have done just what you did. I started out replacing just the speakers and I was not satisfied. But some speakers will provide a good sound over the stockers. I put in my JL Audio C2 6x8 speakers and they sounded decent. But any aftermarket speaker just doe not reach full potential without amperage..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the prompt reply, do you know if the factory HU will actually increase the watts to the front speakers if i fade it all the way to the front, or will the watts to each speaker stay the same to all 4 speakers no matter what.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The factory HU, like most standard HU's, run off a simple integrated circuit for an amplifier. With the 12v coming from the battery, and no transformer on board to ramp up the voltage (which is why amps cost so much), the best you'll get is about 11-14W per channel, with mild clipping.

It isn't an issue of how much you fade or adjust the signal. It has everything to do with the limitations of that chip amp and the lack of a transformer behind it.

You can still get it quite loud, but it will be clipping the signal.

Wattage is a measure of energy dissipation, not a good measure for music. Really, if you are sticking with the stock HU or even most aftermarket models, you need efficient speakers to the most they can with 11-13W.

What is it that you wish to accomplish?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am putting a cvt 8" sub in the factory enclosure and am running it off of a zx300.1 kicker amp. i dont need music really loud i just want the front speakers to sound clean. i realize i screwed up and shouldve bought the zx350.4 kicker amp, bridged the sub on 2 channels and then ran my fronts off the other 2 channels. speaking of that, is there any problem with bridging a 2 ohm sub and then running the 2 front speakers off the other 2 channels at 4 ohms? gah maybe i should just return the zx300.1 and get the job done right.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
brett_frederick said:
i am putting a cvt 8" sub in the factory enclosure and am running it off of a zx300.1 kicker amp. i dont need music really loud i just want the front speakers to sound clean. i realize i screwed up and shouldve bought the zx350.4 kicker amp, bridged the sub on 2 channels and then ran my fronts off the other 2 channels. speaking of that, is there any problem with bridging a 2 ohm sub and then running the 2 front speakers off the other 2 channels at 4 ohms? gah maybe i should just return the zx300.1 and get the job done right.
If the sub is a 2ohm load you can't expect a bridged 4ch amp, or bridged anything really. You don't bridge the sub, you bridge the amp.

Does the kicker cvt 8 have dual voice coils, or one? And what ohm spec is each coil?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess my thought was that setting it up that way i would be getting 180 watt RMS @ 2 ohms to the sub and then 45 watt RMS @ 4 ohms to each of the two alpine 5 x 7's. or am i missing something?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
No, not possible. The load on the amp would be twice as hard as it was engineered to run. The solution would be either to purchase a 2ch/4ch amp and power those fronts (my suggestion would be a 4ch that is active crossover-capable (ie. not kicker) and then run tweeters in the A-pillar to raise the stage height.) If you insist on a 4ch amp, you can run the sub off just one channel, effectively running a 3ch setup. It will still be quite powerful.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The issue here is ohm load. A bridged amp handles max 4ohm load, typically. A single channel will handle 4ohm to 2ohm. So you CAN do it, but not bridged.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so just so i have this straight i would have about 90 watts rms going to the sub from ONE channel, which would leave me with an open channel with nothing on it? crap thought i could use 2 channels bridged for the sub and then the other2 channels for the two speakers up front :worry: would it make any difference if i had a 4ohm kicker cvt 8" sub?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
brett_frederick said:
so just so i have this straight i would have about 90 watts rms going to the sub from ONE channel, which would leave me with an open channel with nothing on it? crap thought i could use 2 channels bridged for the sub and then the other2 channels for the two speakers up front :worry: would it make any difference if i had a 4ohm kicker cvt 8" sub?
Yes, a 4ohm subwoofer would work here. That 4ohm bridged load is fine for the amp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks,

i found the manual for he amp online (http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/fil ... %20web.pdf)

looks like it's going to work. i ordered the kicker zx350.4 and a kicker cvt 8" 4 ohm sub. i have a set of alpine 5x7's that are going in the front doors as well. shipment should be here next week. i will post pics of the install.

also wondering, i ordered a 4 channel LOC. just wondering if it is possible to hook it into the wiring going back to the factory amp? what is your suggestion? where should i wire it. i want to be able to fade the speakers to the front without fading out the sub.

thanks again.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
brett_frederick said:
thanks,

i found the manual for he amp online (http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/fil ... %20web.pdf)

looks like it's going to work. i ordered the kicker zx350.4 and a kicker cvt 8" 4 ohm sub. i have a set of alpine 5x7's that are going in the front doors as well. shipment should be here next week. i will post pics of the install.

also wondering, i ordered a 4 channel LOC. just wondering if it is possible to hook it into the wiring going back to the factory amp? what is your suggestion? where should i wire it. i want to be able to fade the speakers to the front without fading out the sub.

thanks again.
If I were in your shoes, I would use the LOC only on the front, then I would take the output signal from the factory amp at its connection and wire up some RCA's directly. There might also be a connector you can buy..not sure.. I usually end up wiring stuff up on my own. BTW I know this works because I actually used the factory HU for a while. I connected the front speaker outs, and the sub out to my processor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, just got all my gear. would you put the LOC on the front speaker wire? and also to rig up the RCA's from the factory amp, are talking about just snipping the wires and wiring RCA ends on to them? i havent ripped anything apart yet but how did you tell which were the right wires to wire the RCA's onto?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts