Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use the factory SIRIUS with an aftermarket HEAD UNIT?

·
Registered
254 Posts
this is a question i would like the answer to as well please

·
Registered
679 Posts
With onother deck u may need to buy another tuner to recieve sirius, but the stock antenna still works.

·
Registered
836 Posts
andjayik said:
With onother deck u may need to buy another tuner to recieve sirius, but the stock antenna still works.
Correct. Sirius goes by the receiver. If you get a new HU, you have to purchase a receiver and subscribe to a new contract. I recommend once your free 6 months are up, that is the time to put in a new unit. Then use that as a negotiation to purchase a new contract. For the 2010 models, the Sirius receiver is located within the stock HU. So once you pull that out, you need a new receiver. You can use the factory Sirius antenna. That is what I did. New Pioneer HU, new Sirius receiver, stock antenna. Paid for lifetime subscription. With a lifetime subscription, you can change receivers up to 3 times at $75 charge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For me I purchased a new Pioneer AVIC-X920bt and all the interconnects and new Sirius Receiver. My sirius receiver was located under my passenger seat with a few nuts holding down the platform that held the unit in place. I simply screwed down my new sirius sirius connect tuner to that platform, took off the plastic brackets holding in the sirius antenna wire to the ford unit, and placed the antenna on the sirius tuner i purchased. Worked like a charm. Transfered my lifetime subscription to the unit and was up and running.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks...that is what i needed to know..i have pioneer avic as well and have the part that you connect the hd, xm, or sirius too but didnt know if the tuner under my passenger seat could be used somehow to connect to it. guess ill be buying the new sirius tuner then.

·
Registered
836 Posts
escapeornoescape said:
how come you guys want to replace the HU?
Once you learn how bad it sounds compared to an aftermarket, you will then be asking "Why did I wait so long to replace that cheap sounding, heavily contoured, non-adjustable stock receiver". :D

However this is the base stocker that I am referring to. If I had the Nav system, I probably would have done things differently and added stuff after the HU. The sound quality and adjustability that aftermarkets offer is indescribable. And I only have a <$500 HU. Nevermind higher end stuff.

·
Registered
836 Posts
escapeornoescape said:
just by curiosity, how difficult is it to replace :p sorry new to this, still learning hah, also, i can't seem to find lifetime sub on sirius website :(
They don't advertise the lifetime subscription online. If you call them and have them quote you the full price, they will. They want your $$ so they advertise basic and expensive options.

As far as the replacement, the head unit is rather easy if you have all of the parts ready to go. Depending on the model year and what you want to retain, getting a PAC adaptor is the easiest and is reversible. Simply plug in the harness to the factory plugs then add the HU of your choice. The next step is if you want better/amplified speakers. That is a bit harder, but still easy. Just very time consuming and you need a lot of patience. Drilling through Molex plugs 2 centimeters from your door electrical system can be nerve racking. But planning, asking questions and getting the right equipment and parts ahead of time is the way to go. After doing mine once already, I could do it again in about 25% of the time.

I went the extra $$ route with the new PAC adaptor that retains the Sync. If I had known I would not be missing Sync, I would have opted for the basic PAC. Either way I did not cut the factory plugs so I could plug the original HU back in easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.