Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about going with a false floor for my hybrid. Taking into account mu limited experience I have decided to go an easier route for the time being. The total height is 5 1/4" which should not interfere with hauling. Also It will need to be strong, at least to be able to support 300 pounds. The sides are going to be sealed with fiberglass to get a good fit with the current panels I have made up a sketchup model to get some ideas down, and would like some suggestions on how to make this better.

Here is the top panel made from 1/2" plywood or OSB

This is the support panel at 3/4" I plan on also have cutouts to show off the amps. I am thinking having this panel on hinges.

This panel is 1/2" that is going to seal the sub enclosure. I also plan on having another brace on the right as well as a cutout to get to the battery disconnect.

BM mkiii with .5 cu ft

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Hm, weird. I should probably go figure out what the trunk of a hybrid Escape looks like before I say anything. I pulled the cargo base off my 09 and I can see how your design works in a non-hybrid version. There must be something diferrent in the models we have. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 07 hybrid has a flat rear cargo area,

Thanks Sinister, I am thinking making the sub box one piece and the amp side another so it will be easier to get in and out of needed. Im working on another design right now. My wife leaves for Ireland soon and will be gone two weeks.... project time :).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Looks really good. Definitely for the sake of weight, use lighter ply woods if you can. There are some very strong 7-ply woods you can find at HD or Lowes for the purpose.

I see you found making the surround shape very difficult in Googlesketch! It is!

You have to draw a solid semi-circle that makes the surround shape, then you use the "follow me" tool around the sub.

·
Registered
758 Posts
There is a location on the passenger side of the rear cargo area for a subwoofer to fit. MY 2005 hybrid has an 8 inch subwoofer in this area. Have you heard of the famous blend door issue? Many of the hybrid's suffer from this issue at and beyond 50,000 miles. This is a movable door inside the vent from the driver's side rear cargo window. There is a lot of parts that need to be removed in this area for this fix. You can not cover up the hybrid battery filter which is located on the driver's rear cargo panel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BillyK, thanks for the heads up. The Hybrid filter is high enough up as to not get in the way. I will make the whole setup easy to remove if I do need to get in and service any parts. I wanted to keep the rear stock incase I do encounter any issues and they can quickly be removed. As for the subwoofer this is a 12", I did not want to try to make a custom panel to fit this into where the stock subwoofer is so I have gone this route.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The floor pan on my non-hybrid just barely fit those SI subs, given the rear of the sub needs a bit of breathing room, and the front of the sub could use the same. I assume you already picked up on the fact that the floor height you'll end up with will be more than stock.

Unless your floor pan is different?!

This was mine:

This was one of the ones I built for some of the members here. I am showing this one over my own because these were made as shallow as possible.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Consider taking the area under the sub and cutting it out, then use steel or fiberglass to give you a lot less depth loss. That might make it shorter still.

Beats 3/4" worth of space, might be able to cut it down to 1/2" less

1 - 14 of 14 Posts