Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
This anti-Toyota thing is getting a little crusade-ish....

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Eh, these events seem completely unrelated imho. Still seems odd though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lahood the transportation secretary was ask on television earlier today if they were picking on Toyota and he said 23 million cars were recalled over the previous three years with Toyota having the largest number by far.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
It's all the result of Toyota wanting to be GM.

The investigation is a result of possible Anti-Trust collusion with the suppliers to Toyota, GM, Chrysler, Nissan and possibly Ford. Some of the problematic throttle assemlbies are mfg. by CSC for Toyota. Two other companies supply Toyota throttle/accelerator assemblies for Toyota and GM. They are not part of the recall, but are a part of the Anti-Trust investigations. Two separate problems and investigations, but becoming increasingly related issues because of the throttle/accelerator recall.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
jonas1022 said:
When Toyota makes cars that destroy their customers, they're GM :lol:

Seriously, I see what you mean. They say they grew too fast but I think they're being targeted a bit too much, quite possibly due to patriotism and the fact that the U.S. government owns a big chunk of them. Everyone has recalls- Ford, Honda etc etc. This is something the media helps blow out of proportion, eggs on the people until they "demand action!" Remember when Audi almost went out of business?

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
The thing I can't understand is Is someone lies to congess they can get a big fine and go to jail However Congress lies to the American people every day of the week and nothing happens to them Ba*****S! :censor: :thumb:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,620 Posts
Ajax said:
This anti-Toyota thing is getting a little crusade-ish....
I agree with you Ajax. Let the beatings continue until the morale improves.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Ajax said:
jonas1022 said:
When Toyota makes cars that destroy their customers, they're GM :lol:

Seriously, I see what you mean. They say they grew too fast but I think they're being targeted a bit too much, quite possibly due to patriotism and the fact that the U.S. government owns a big chunk of them. Everyone has recalls- Ford, Honda etc etc. This is something the media helps blow out of proportion, eggs on the people until they "demand action!" Remember when Audi almost went out of business?
Yup! I still won't buy one either...I had a Pontiac 6000 STE back then. Car and Driver said the Audi was the car to buy in a comparison test too! I think that turned out to be mostly owner error, not an actual issue with the Audi's. They didn't handle it any better than Toyota. GM still doesn't handle it any better now...... :doh: Even after that nasty PR lesson with Ford and Firestone.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
One thing that does bug me about Toyota is I read their car's data recorders (similar to an aircraft's little black box) can only be read by a very few Toyota owned computers only. In the article I read, GM Ford and Chrysler all have the same easily read recorders (police computers can read them) and Honda has a proprietary one but you can still buy their software and read it. I believe Toyota did say records would be available to NTSB if they asked for them but still. Police now use these to help determine how accidents happen, for safety and legal reasons.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Ajax said:
One thing that does bug me about Toyota is I read their car's data recorders (similar to an aircraft's little black box) can only be read by a very few Toyota owned computers only. In the article I read, GM Ford and Chrysler all have the same easily read recorders (police computers can read them) and Honda has a proprietary one but you can still buy their software and read it. I believe Toyota did say records would be available to NTSB if they asked for them but still. Police now use these to help determine how accidents happen, for safety and legal reasons.
Did not know this.. that's some good information.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Toyota is making a mass of decoders available to the public sector, especially now that this has come out. They had intended to roll out the decoders next year, but had decided to hold off till they were mandated to provide them. Why wait for the mandated date? That's an old GM trick. It didn't work for them, Ford or anyone else in the past.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.