Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is or are alot of guys out there with some pictures. final instals are okay and works in progress are even better. just looking for some ideas. don't want to go with a built in system anymore.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
head monkey said:
Just wondering if there is or are alot of guys out there with some pictures. final instals are okay and works in progress are even better. just looking for some ideas. don't want to go with a built in system anymore.
Whatcha wanna know? Hell I'm building 3 boxes for members on this site.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
head monkey said:
not really wanting to know much just wanted to know what others are doing and what they have done. just trying to get some good ideas and all...
That's what I'm saying.. do you want to see stealth installs using fiberglass to keep things space-efficient, or do you want to see flashy 'glassed trunks?

I do the former.
Well this is what I've done for the Tribute over time:

This is an attempt at having my cake and eating it too (keeping spare tire while staying stealth)

Which I gave up on because the sub I was designing for ended up being not made during the time it was supposed to be, only to come out a couple years later. So I decided to use a monster sub I had lying around,

and created this. This is tubwork done on a Speed3. Sorry I don't have many pics of this stuff, it is extremely hard to remember to take pics during a build.

And this is the most blingy I ever got:

This is my current system build in the Tribute:

This was version one. It looked better, but I didn't like the level of protection on the subs.

So I went another route with some Madisound grills:

Of course, because of the other boxes I've been making for other members, my system is all apart again!

And finally, this is the project pics of the work I'm doing for three members on here:

·
Registered
105 Posts
im literally in the process of fiberglassing my interior door panels, i'll take some pics later for you. the one thing i have noticed about fiberglass is that you go through alot of brushes.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
mgkars said:
im literally in the process of fiberglassing my interior door panels, i'll take some pics later for you. the one thing i have noticed about fiberglass is that you go through alot of brushes.
And gloves.

Both of which you can buy in bulk at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
105 Posts
fourthmeal said:
mgkars said:
And gloves.

Both of which you can buy in bulk at Harbor Freight.
definitely, i went through loads.

to be honest though, ford what i wanted the fiberglass looked tacky so i went with body filler, dont laugh im being serious lol.

im extending the arm rest on the doors to accommodate` a hide away storage place and the fiberglass wasn't easy to sand down into the shape i wanted, you had to be pinpoint accurent with it, where as the body filler im able to build it up in layers, sand down and adjust the shapes and curves. the fiberglass does make an excellent base however.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Fourthmeal, you had a Speed3?? Were you on mazda3forums.com??

Back on topic, i've been watching a ton of fiberglassing videos on you tube and it doesn't see like it would be too, too hard to do, but i wonder if I have the right tools to build everything. What tools did you use for the latest boxes fourth?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the pic. forth... your idea is great... I am almost done with my box and I went in another way. I am using only one sub with a powerfull amp. and one amp for my highs. I thought about the stealth setup and all but my wife wants the sub to be able to come out on our long trips to her sister twice a year. and not to mention that 2.9 cubic feet is ease to get in a setup like your. I will take pic this week of the box...

Oh yea almost forgot... I used six sheats of fiberglass and three big cans of resin. two big cans of light wait bondo. and went threw eight brushes, two boxes of gloves and two cans of acetone, " keeps it from harding to soon."

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
mentalcase said:
Fourthmeal, you had a Speed3?? Were you on mazda3forums.com??

Back on topic, i've been watching a ton of fiberglassing videos on you tube and it doesn't see like it would be too, too hard to do, but i wonder if I have the right tools to build everything. What tools did you use for the latest boxes fourth?
Yes sir, I once had a Speed.

All you need to work with fiberglass is:

gloves
throw-away brushes
scissors to cut fiberglass (not your favorite type, they will dull quickly)
spray carnuba wax (I use Meguire's quick wax) to keep the box from sticking, its optional though.
scotch tape
I use foil to protect the surface, again you can use other methods but this is mine.
Plastic sheeting to protect further
Good, fresh resin
fresh hardener
mixing sticks
sandpaper
cutoff grinder or something to cut off excess cured fiberglass

Honestly to do fiberglass, is ridiculously easy as long as you have patience, and you can deal with the prep work, protection, and clean up.

I also recommend you get talc powder and use it when you are going to make some fiberglass dust or when you're handling fiberglass mat. The talc will clog your pores in your arms and keep the itches to a min.

For these boxes I also used a router with a jasper circle jig, which is definitely necessary for good circles.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
mentalcase said:
Is it something that still could be done with a jig saw lol. I seriously thinking about attempting my own stealth box. Did you design the box to have a certain volume?
Yeah, you can use a jig-saw. Just make sure it is a good one, and that you cut INSIDE of your intended circle, then you can trim from there.

The box, being a sealed one, is a rough estimated .6-.7 cubic feet. My box, holding two subs instead of one, specs out at an estimated .9 - .95 cubic feet.

I did once build a box that had well over 1.5 cubic feet, probably closer to 1.8-1.9. that box was the one you see pictured with fiberglass that extends all the way to the underside of the amp rack. The only limiting factor has proven to be the sub's depth. I did install a set of Fi Audio SSD's a couple years ago, which was amazingly powerful but it made the trunk a little tall and mis-shapen. Looked like this:

Notice the slight angle downward as I get closer to the trunk end. This is what irked me about this design, but admittedly this does work if you're ok with a non-flat floor and still want thicker subs!

Before that system, I built a standard wood box setup with a pass-through to utilize at least some of the trunk. This design was not too bad of a space hog, but still I knew it would be temporary:

After that but before this last stealth build that I completed, I had some monster amps and monster subs in the truck. This was before I knew I had a kid on the way! That looked like this (and take note, it was unfinished because I was lazy and not pleased with the design as-is)

The box was supposed to be .5 cubic feet per sub, but that was based off the T/S parameters of the sub as spec'd out. Turned out that once someone actually MEASURED the sub's specs instead of going off the rated numbers, I should have built the box about three times as large or better. That explains why I was not overwhelmingly happy with the response:

And just before I was made aware of my first baby coming its way, I built this:

Which looks unassuming but what you don't know is that box is double-walled Birch-plywood, using interlocking sections to make what is undoubtedly the most massive box I've ever made as far as strength goes. The reason is because that sub is THIS:

Which is an Eclipse (TC Sounds) SW8000 LMT sub, and has a solid 3" of linear excursion which plots out and will play as low as a strong 18" sub even though its a 10". Yikes. It came out though when I learned wifey was pregnant (this would be our first kid), and the stealth install I have today is the result. The move to a pair of SI BM mkIII's gives me 90% of the frequency response of the Eclipse sub, and 110% of the volume it had. In fact I prefer the SPL and sound quality of the SI's even over the Fi Audio subs that were used in the original stealth install I had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts