Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stashed stuff here since owning the vehicle. Mostly the hitch receiver, 2 inch ball, various pins and locks for hitch. I tossed a screw driver with bits, needle nose, and slip joint pliers.

Recently while 900 miles from home ran into 80 mph winds, and that ripped the plastic along the bottom of the vehicle down, dragging on the pavement (Costco jacked it up, I thought I had it secured but serious winds and driving 80 mph proved me wrong). All I had was some rope, which helped, but left me wanting zip ties.

While not really emergency stuff, I did 3D print a tray to hold some tools:

And put the sockets on a rail (I find that when on the road or visiting, a 1/4 set would be very handy).

I added some large zip ties, medium zip ties, and some small ones. Paracord, bigger rope, mechanics gloves, a few sets of nitrile gloves, an adjustable nut shaver (crescent wrench), flashlight (without the batteries installed, last one they leaked), a few bungee cords, microfiber towels, trash bags. I need to find a good sized set of side cutters, and a decent pocket knife. I have a couple Leatherman tools in the glovebox but a folding knife would be great.

And yes, I infrequently tow, so I left the wiring inside and just stick it through the lift gate seal, instead of having it outside all the time. I had to redo my last few vehicles wiring due to the connector going bad.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Nice work. The 3-d printed tool holder looks very professional. Ford should offer a kit (Genuine Accessory) with various tools and other items to fill in those spaces. Heck while they are at it they might as well co-brand it with Craftsman(TM) Tools and Eddie Bauer(TM). The OCD and brand obsessed types would go nuts over it.

I have some tools stashed in the hidden spaces in the back of my Escape. But I couldn't tell your what all is actually back there (out of sight, out of mind). If I ever do need a tool on the side of the road, it will be the one thing I don't have.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only molded in things in the surround are the jack handle, the fuel fill funnel, and the modem. I just had stuff loose in there but some ended up in the tire well, and they rattled a bit. I also 3D printed a few replacement parts (mostly push pins and body part holders) and braces to use with zip ties, come in handy.

I had a giant bag in my Grand Marquis, but I had a lot of space for it on the shelf the spare was on, I had a full toolkit (1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets, wrenches, real screw drivers, pliers, bulbs, COPs and spark plugs, previously removed serpentine belt, hose repair kit, quart of oil, quart of transmission fluid, quart of water, etc) and yes, the one time I had a roadside issue I didn't have what I needed. I also find that I use stuff like this for other vehicles or purposes, and just having them makes them not needed, which I am good with.

I was just going to toss in the very cheap Harbor Freight socket set, but I have broken a couple sockets and the ratchet locks up a lot, so I got a much better Harbor Freight set :) Very reasonable tools for infrequent use (or normal use not abuse).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts