Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I can't help but think that Ford is going to regret dumping the Mercury branded vehicles.

·
Registered
700 Posts
jonas1022 said:
I can't help but think that Ford is going to regret dumping the Mercury branded vehicles.
Let's hope Lincoln keep them afloat in the luxury department.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jonas1022 said:
The beauty is, if they ever do regret it and want to resurrect it, they can. I'm sure they are not giving up the right to the name, and there are no stand-alone Mercury manufacturing plants. They could even bring it back as a niche brand as many have speculated that GM may do someday with Pontiac when they are out of government control.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
MichaelJD1980 said:
jonas1022 said:
The beauty is, if they ever do regret it and want to resurrect it, they can. I'm sure they are not giving up the right to the name, and there are no stand-alone Mercury manufacturing plants. They could even bring it back as a niche brand as many have speculated that GM may do someday with Pontiac when they are out of government control.
True! Alan Mullaly has said that Ford would work on niche branding of the Ford cars in the future. He said that years ago though, so I wonder if he is really meant what that sounds like. Or if he did, does he still think along those lines now or not. :shrug:

The other side is GM bringing back Pontiac or Saturn would be pure conjecture. Just as bringing back Mercury or Edsel... ;-|

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jonas1022 said:
MichaelJD1980 said:
jonas1022 said:
True! Alan Mullaly has said that Ford would work on niche branding of the Ford cars in the future. He said that years ago though, so I wonder if he is really meant what that sounds like. Or if he did, does he still think along those lines now or not. :shrug:

The other side is GM bringing back Pontiac or Saturn would be pure conjecture. Just as bringing back Mercury or Edsel... ;-|
Well, Saturn is never coming back (with GM, at least) because the trademark went with "old GM" to be sold off in the bankruptcy action. Pontiac, on the other hand, went with "new GM," which leads people to believe that we will see the name from GM again someday.

·
Registered
16 Posts
MichaelJD1980 said:
jonas1022 said:
The whole problem is that there is too little difference between a Mercury and a Ford or between a Lincoln and a Ford for that matter. If a Mercury or a Lincoln is just a Ford loaded up with options (which is mostly the case) then there really is no point - you just have a Ford with a different badge. What's the point in that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts