Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I own a 2012 Ford Escape Limited, red coloring. and was wondering where to find a front bumper filler piece that does not have chrome paint on it, I'm going to modify the vehicle and wanted to start with the grille and bumper, I have found the part for the grille, but I cannot find a front bumper filler that isn't chromed, if y'all have any ideas on where to find one or how to remove the chrome it would be much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
The chrome pieces are mostly plastic with a chrome-looking coating. You can use sandpaper to roughen the surface or remove the coating and then paint as desired. There are chemicals that can 'etch' the surface for subsequent painting, but I am not sure if they would work on 'chromed' plastic parts.
tom

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you have to paint the part, contact the mfg of the paint you plan on using to see what they recommend. I'd guess sanding then prime & paint. AFAIK, plastic chrome is either specially applied aluminum or actually chrome (with real chrome, the part is coated w another metal first). SEM products are pretty good. I painted the exterior plastic w their bumper coater & it is still intact w no scratches or chips or anything. This was 5 years ago.

ps: with any refinishing project preparation is key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts