Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been searching for a way to tap into the dome light circut for months now.. ive read up on all the ways people have done it. one person did it by locating the GEM and finding the right wire there (cant locate the GEM in my 05model though). Ive also seen Jpark mention it runs up the A-pillar so i pulled the A-pillars and tested the wires and couldnt find a wire that powered on with dome light.

i even thought of connecting a wire right to the dome light itself and running it through the roof lining...

does anyone know the easiest way for me to tap into this circut on an 05 xlt? Im trying to connect my custom interior lights to the circut so they turn on also when the door opens.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I think you have an '05, right? If so, you don't have a GEM, which was located behind the fuse opening in the driver-side kick panel on 2001-2004 models. That's why you can't find it. 2005 and newer models have a Smart Junction Box, which is located inside the front of the center console.

But there's another problem with 2005-2007 models. The interior lamp circuit isn't a grounded circuit with one active-high wire. The fading control is actually active LOW, which means that the PINK interior lamp wire (see below) goes to one end of a lamp, and the other end goes to the active-high Battery Saver circuit.

So, you'll need to connect any new interior lamp(s) to both the PINK interior lamp wire, and the VIOLET with ORANGE STRIPE Battery Saver wire. For LEDs, the cathodes ("-") go to the PINK wire, and the anodes ("+") go to the VIOLET with ORANGE STRIPE wire.

Also, don't put too much extra current on the circuit. The interior lamp circuit is driven by a high-side FET (a transistor-like solid-state device), and it does have a current limit. Use LEDs if you can.

Both wires are located in the A-pillar, but they're also inside the harness shown by the larger red circle, below:

Make sure that these are the only two wires with those colors inside this harness.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jpark thats amazing thank you for the response.

i do infact have the 05.

and the interior lighting i want to add onto the circut is all LEDs so power consumption should be okay.

curently my interior leds are connected to a relay. i was planning on connecting the relay switch wire to this circut. would this work?

or if i connect LED's straight to those two wires would they dim on and off?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You'll need to connect the LEDs directly to those two wires. This is one circuit that really wasn't designed to drive anything but lamps (and/or LEDs).

DO NOT attempt to connect a relay to this circuit! Ford doesn't dim the lights by decreasing the voltage. Instead, the SJB creates pulses that are shorter and shorter until they stop, which makes the lamps look like they're fading (or longer and longer pulses until the lamps are at full brightness, which is when the pulses stop).

A relay can cause two problems:
1) Any coil device could cause an inductive voltage spike, which could destroy the interior lamp circuit. If that happens, your SJB will need to be replaced, and that's not a cheap part.
2) Even if the relay is protected with a reverse-polarity diode, it will chatter as the lamps fade on and off.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You're welcome!

:thumb:

BTW, yes, the LEDs will dim with the interior lamps. In fact, since LEDs turn on and off so quickly, you may even see them flicker as the pulses "fade" them in and out.

Also, remember that LEDs are polarity-sensitive. You'll need to wire LED cathodes ("-") to the PINK wire, and anodes ("+") to the VOILET with ORANGE STRIPE wire.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow again thank you so much for the help.

the two wires were infact in the drivers side a-piller and i had already spliced into them trying this mod before so it was easy to get back to them.
(i was originally grounding the LED and trying to put the power on either of those wires which did not work)

hooked the LEDs up just like you said and it works like a charm! the LED's dim perfectly with the LED dome light, i love it.

thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Breensy said:
i have been searching for a way to tap into the dome light circut for months now.. ive read up on all the ways people have done it. one person did it by locating the GEM and finding the right wire there (cant locate the GEM in my 05model though). Ive also seen Jpark mention it runs up the A-pillar so i pulled the A-pillars and tested the wires and couldnt find a wire that powered on with dome light.

i even thought of connecting a wire right to the dome light itself and running it through the roof lining...

does anyone know the easiest way for me to tap into this circut on an 05 xlt? Im trying to connect my custom interior lights to the circut so they turn on also when the door opens.
I want to do what Breensy did, but I have a 2003 Ford Escape XLT. I think that I need to tap into the dome light circuit somehow, but I really don't know where this is and/or how to wire it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.