Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having problems with Explorer 7 especially with Vista :barf: I highly recommend Firefox browser. I just installed it the other day and man, what a difference! I'm 48 hours without a crash, freeze or error. A record for me. Not to mention the satisfaction of "sticking one" to Miicrosoft.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Do you mean Firefox?

I like it, but, like all browsers, it has its strengths and weaknesses. As a programmer, I have to make sure code works on the big four (IE, Firefox, Opera, and Safari). If there are differences in rendering, IE will usually be the only one that's different, but not always in a bad way. And IE will sometimes try to compensate for missing tags, where the other browsers won't.

Firefox's only real downfall is that it will sometimes lose the ability to play flash files (such as YouTube) if you've had the computer on for a long time. It sometimes needs to be closed and restarted to make them work again. On the plus side, it has the best Javascipt analyzer around (the Error Console under Tools), and Javascript runs like lightning with it.

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jpark said:
Do you mean Firefox?

I like it, but, like all browsers, it has its strengths and weaknesses. As a programmer, I have to make sure code works on the big four (IE, Firefox, Opera, and Safari). If there are differences in rendering, IE will usually be the only one that's different, but not always in a bad way. And IE will sometimes try to compensate for missing tags, where the other browsers won't.

Firefox's only real downfall is that it will sometimes lose the ability to play flash files (such as YouTube) if you've had the computer on for a long time. It sometimes needs to be closed and restarted to make them work again. On the plus side, it has the best Javascipt analyzer around (the Error Console under Tools), and Javascript runs like lightning with it.
:bag:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:lol:

Firefox also updates itself regularly, and there are lots of settings to tinker with.

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MadMax said:
jpark said:
Do you mean Firefox?

:bag:
Thanks, fixed, I know what say is true so I still have IE as an option. I use a lot of java apps so that is why I'm thrilled with it.

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jpark said:

Firefox also updates itself regularly, and there are lots of settings to tinker with.
Yes! and do I love to tinker and tweek :roll: ..anyway except when working, then I want smooth and reliable movement in and out of multiple windows. IE just couldn't handle it.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i have been using firefox for years and would use it exclusively except micro crap requires IE for some of there crap.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I used to use Firefox all of the time but I kept running into problems with things that I did on a daily basis so I went back to IE. I may have to give Firefox another whirl especially since they just released Version 3 :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
That's what I've run into, too. While IE is the slowest, it still seems to just work better for everything, especially if it's open all day with lots of tabs and lots of usage.

I've downloaded, installed, and used FF3, but I haven't tortured it yet. :D

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had the new Firefox for over a week and have not run into a single problem. I agree that there are some things that IE does better, but overall the Firefox just works better with what I'm doing.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I have been having issues with it lately on this site.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
To quote a line from the movie Disclosure, "it's not the code."

·
Registered
256 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
I have been having issues with it lately on this site.
same here with Firefox 2. Even if I clear cookies, it doesn't recognize me after logging in. I keep logging in, it tells me I'm successful, and goes back to the previous page.

On the line that reads:
"View unanswered posts • View new posts • View active topics"
the middle item ("View new posts") is missing.

I have to log in about a dozen times before it takes.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
???

Maybe I'll conduct some experiments with the settings. I've never seen that happen when I've logged in.

There is one part of the board software that makes me suspicious: the cookie domain for this site was set originally to "/localhost" despite having the identical settings to the other three forums I'm running on that server. The other sites have their domain names as the cookie domain. The last time I tried to change localhost to something else, the site wouldn't take logins from any browser.

This is the first time I've heard of any problem with the site, so I'll take a look. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
lol I guess I could have told you that I was having that same problem instead of a generic "I'm having a problem" lol

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Do you have the scroll bar on the side, or still using the little arrow boxes to scroll?

Newer version of 3 is supposed to have them, sometimes the scroll bar is there and sometimes it isn't. Do you know what I mean? :confused: I'm just passing on a conversation I had with someone else online at another site. He is also running, was running Ubuntu. I think he went back to his MS XP and IE.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I never had a problem with my filofax browser, it was childs play really, six metal rings mounted in a leather holder, which had plenty of paper inserts ;)

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
jonas1022 said:
Do you have the scroll bar on the side, or still using the little arrow boxes to scroll?

Newer version of 3 is supposed to have them, sometimes the scroll bar is there and sometimes it isn't. Do you know what I mean? :confused: I'm just passing on a conversation I had with someone else online at another site. He is also running, was running Ubuntu. I think he went back to his MS XP and IE.
Are you talking about if the picture that is posted is too big and you have a horizontal scroll bar?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
jonas1022 said:

Are you talking about if the picture that is posted is too big and you have a horizontal scroll bar?
Um, no. I talking about Version 3.0.1. It is supposed to have the right hand side scroll bar for vertical movement. Sometimes his comes up and sometimes it doesn't display, just the arrows for vertical movement.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts