Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Links to some photo galleries and videos below. The don't vids show the Escape unfortunately, I may get some later.

A great bunch of guys, and in the beginning there were some side glances at the Escape... "like really?" Definitely the underdog in this group. But then you'd here... "wow look at that". And one comment... "How 'bout it, the Ford Escape 4x4 of the year. By the end I think they had a little more respect for the little guy. The Escape was almost (or was) out of it's league but with some help from the guys I went with and a few scrapes bumps and bruises we got through it. More ground clearance in the front would have been great. The one Jeep suffered a broken linkage bolt to the sway bar, just took the linkage off and plowed on. The F150 got hung up once, but it was a big truck trying to get around some tight bends.

Fun time all in all but most likely won't do it again in the Escape, we'll see...

http://www.shootingsd.com/Photograp...rrego-Off-Road/10251784_QjyNK#707128806_UUrZ2

http://picasaweb.google.com/NSmith80/20091107OffRoading#

http://picasaweb.google.com/trkcdk/MudCaves?feat=email#

EDIT: I opted to remove the videos since they were not Escape centric. I've heard videos of the Escape are forth coming and will post if I get them.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Looks like tons of fun. The Escapes are pretty capable for a small unibody SUV but for the serious bumps and lumps the old body on frame designs are certainly better equipped. :box:
I don't know if my ride has ever been in any deeper than the side walls on the tires but it serves me well for the ruts and pot holes in the urban landscape. Thanks for the pics and vids. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
yeah, unless your absolutely sure you don't mind driving around with dings and plenty of scratches it makes it difficult to off-road. A few things I would suggest if there is a next time is a set of A/T tires and lower them to about 12 lbs. This will help you get a smoother ride and dig in as well. Since the E's don't have 4WL I use 2nd gear (auto-trans) a lot while on the trails and lastly add two rear and front pick points to the frame so a tow strap can be used if something does happen.
My E is pretty thrashed from off-raoding but It's something I've been doing since age 17 and I'm 41 know. This is the first 4X4 that I've had that doesn't have 4WL , locking hubs or solid axles. But it is the most expensive 4X4 I've owned and will probably be the last unless they come out with a new sweet Bronco. By the time I'm finished with this project the only thing thats going to be original is the body and I've already welded stiffners to the uniframe..That was the first thing i did.

I bet you'll end up going again or getting a beater to off-road with..

I hope you really had fun and weren't to focused on the exterior damage that was taking place.....at least until you got home..

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
megascape said:
I bet you'll end up going again or getting a beater to off-road with..

I hope you really had fun and weren't to focused on the exterior damage that was taking place.....at least until you got home..
Yup, I want my Subaru (called it Cyclops, had the hidden light in the grill :shrug:) I had I college back now. I used to go out most weekends and beat on it.

The escape is one of our daily drivers and if something happened to it... Hell would be paid. I was assured it was not a bad trail... ... for a JEEP that is. :lol: It was alot fun and the lower lip on the front fascia was the only exterior damage. It seems to drive and ride fine. I was a little worried about the suspension being maxed out and tweaked and damaging it somehow. On more than one occasion I was on three wheels sometimes two. At least now we know that the Escape can handle ANY urban pothole. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Did I see a JK in there? Definitely make sure to air down your tires. It helps your tires to form over obstacles instead of simply riding over them. Gives you much better handling and traction off-road :cigar:

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JK... your model Scott? (sorry a little Jeep model challenged :) ) I thought this post might catch your attention. :yes: There were two. A Sahara(?) (black rims) and a Rubicon(?). Both really nice. They all talked off airing down but kept putting it off. Never did.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
That would be my model. I have a thread in here somewhere with some Jeep runs with other JK's...you ought to show your buddies those.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scooter Scott said:
That would be my model. I have a thread in here somewhere with some Jeep runs with other JK's...you ought to show your buddies those.
Forwarded along the posts... I guess one of the guys that rode along (he's got a 350Z, no off-roading there :)P ), caught the bug... he's now looking at buying a Jeep. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Tell him to get in touch with me if he has any questions. I will gladly help him make a decision.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do. I found out he's looking into an older Cherokee to beat on. :taz:

·
Registered
263 Posts
futameca said:
But then you'd here... "wow look at that". And one comment... "How 'bout it, the Ford Escape 4x4 of the year.
This picture just made my day

:D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
:wave: Thats fun, I love it!...We are currently trying to figure out a way to strengthen my front suspension but want to keep it under $500.00.
Also I want to make it a little more stiffer steering...?
That is an awesome picture..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts