Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Not sure if I like that or don't. I generally don't like Chinese manufacturing and practices, but a little part of me likes seeing new "old" Escapes. At least they paid for the tooling, which is more than you can always say for the Chinese.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
megascape said:
I don't like that at all, it's disheartening to me. Just my opinion.
How come? It should be a good thing that our car is being reborn, albeit in China. If it makes you feel any better, last I checked it was still in production in Australia and Taiwan. It's not just the Chinese that are still making it (or rather, will make it).

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
If the Chinese industry can build super tankers which move and provide the US and the world with fuel, I'm sure they can build a Ford SUV.They might move that alternator from where it is right now on the V6s.Ten years have passed and Ford still turns a deaf ear to customer complaints on that issue...and five whole years passed before moving the auto gear shift lever from the steering to the floor.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I think it's kind of flattering. After all, if China is paying for something that's more money for Ford. And they usually just copy stuff without paying fees and hide behind their Communist government. I heard there was a car that was so well reverse-engineered that Chevy parts would bolt right up to it. :bill:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Doesn't bother me. It's obsolete for most intents and purposes. Originally it was a Mazda 626. Now, it's an SUV. Mazda isn't using the technology on it's vehicles any longer. They don't seem to mind that we are still using the same platform that they drew up over a decade ago.

I wonder what the Chinese will do with it after a couple years? It's most certainly newer than the original Cherokee that they are still building and knocking off. None of those Jeeps made it stateside, or anywhere else. If they want to build it for home use, fine. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jonas1022 said:
Doesn't bother me. It's obsolete for most intents and purposes. Originally it was a Mazda 626. Now, it's an SUV. Mazda isn't using the technology on it's vehicles any longer. They don't seem to mind that we are still using the same platform that they drew up over a decade ago.

I wonder what the Chinese will do with it after a couple years? It's most certainly newer than the original Cherokee that they are still building and knocking off. None of those Jeeps made it stateside, or anywhere else. If they want to build it for home use, fine.
;)
According to Wikipedia, the Cherokee was discontinued in China in 2005, was it wrong?

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I agree with Ajax & Jonas. The tooling is obsolete and I''m glad Ford is getting something for it. As long as the vehicles and parts will be for the Chinese market, I don't have a problem with this.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
RMP91 said:
jonas1022 said:

I wonder what the Chinese will do with it after a couple years? It's most certainly newer than the original Cherokee that they are still building and knocking off. None of those Jeeps made it stateside, or anywhere else. If they want to build it for home use, fine.
;)
According to Wikipedia, the Cherokee was discontinued in China in 2005, was it wrong?
Yup! Your correct, or Wikipedia is correct. The Cherokee was discontinued, but it's clones are still produced. I watched a cable program about the derivations that are still in production. So, I guess my bad. I was thinking of the clones... :doh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[/quote]
Yup! Your correct, or Wikipedia is correct. The Cherokee was discontinued, but it's clones are still produced. I watched a cable program about the derivations that are still in production. So, I guess my bad. I was thinking of the clones... :doh:[/quote]

Which program was this? Can you elaborate a little further?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
If I recall the name or even the channel I'll post it. Otherwise, it's was just one of those surfing days that I had made a decison to not do anything on my day off. Apparently I was more successful than I realized, because I don't have a clue. Maybe Discovery channel, maybe not... :confused: could have even been CNN, I was watching that last week for some reason.

·
Registered
419 Posts
stone said:
I wonder if they will give it, a different model designation?.
I think it will be called the Yihu and made by the Jiangling Motors Company

Ford already has a partnership with the Jiangling who have been making the Ford Transit Van for several years.

I've also read one report that Ford owns 30% of Jiangling. http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2010/07 ... s-subarus/

Ford also has a joint venture with Chang'an Motors. They currently build the Focus and I think they will be building the Edge next year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts