Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my new nerf bars delivered yesterday and was hoping to have them installed locally for a fair price (1 hour max $100). I went to a local bodyshop that I've dealt with before and he wants $200. Next, I went to a truck accessories store which quoted me $150 plus tax (they charge double to install parts not purchased from them). So it looks like I'll be attempting this myself.

I've looked at the instructions and it seems very doable (my generic nerf bars came with same instructions as the Steelcraft and Aries instructions found online).

The one area that concerns me is the removal of the front part of the rocker panel to locate a factory hole. It says remove 1 screw (wheelwell) and 3 clips. From what I read, these clips are one time use and will likely break. Will it matter if they break? I'm thinking probably not since I'll be installing a bolt with an L bracket in that area. Also, I'm thinking when I actually add the bars, it will be very difficult to get under there to tighten everything.

Sorry for the long post. Any tips or advice appreciated :)

(As a precaution, in case I decide to remove the nerf bars, I've ordered some clips from eBay)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd be willing to lend a hand if needed. I'm in Mississauga (but working nights this weekend)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Personally i would rather install the bars myself, 1. it saves money, 2. it gives a great feeling knowing "i put them there".

ive yet to fit bars to the maverick but i have fitted bars to a hyundai santafe and they went on easy enough.

just read the instructions and take your time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well after a major blunder from the start, I finally was successful in installing my nerf bars. As expected after removing the rocker panel clips, they were toast. My major blunder was not having a drill bit big enough to make the hole in the rocker panel and while making the hole larger with a file I accidently knocked the plate bolt inside my rocker panel.

4 hours on my back fishing with coat hangers to locate and extract the plate bolt :bang:

I need a shower :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Onefastbike said:
They look great!

Where did you get them? How much?
eBay $165 U.S. including shipping. With the strong Canadian dollar it came out to $171 CDN. My research indicates they were made by Winbo in China. Apparently, they are huge and make products for major brands. The installation procedures were identical to Steelcraft and Aries. A local GTA distributor, AutoEQ, sells them for $340 CDN.

In retrospect, I should have paid the $150 to have them installed. Maybe I'll think differently when my body aches and pains go away. :lol:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mgkars said:
looks great :D just think of all the satisfaction you've got through doing it yourself.
:lol: :lol: Thanks, I AM feeling better today about doing it myself, although the back of my head and my tailbone are still very sore :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also had some nerf bars installed on my 2012 Escape, although thet seem to be a little too high? By your picture though, they seem the same. Mine are about 1.5" below the door, anyone know how I could lower them? I looked & the adjustments on the brackets are A the lowest setting.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks jbone, I did search and read up on these threads. I would just be more confident doing this install if someone more experienced would be able to guide me while I do it...kinda like a co-pilot/security blanket. :)

Oh well, I'll give it a shot this weekend if the weather holds out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.