Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, as much as I hate to admit it, winter is just around the corner. :frozen: :frozen: :frozen:
This will be my first winter driving my Escape and I was just looking for some impressions from others on how these vehicle behave in winter conditions.
I already anticipate the gas pedal will need a lighter touch as the V6 has some pretty good torque at take off but are there any other suprises I should be aware of?
Also not sure what the Goodyear Wranglers are like in winter.
My truck is the FWD model so I know I won't be tackling any back woods trails but I'm hoping that these little trucks still dig along a snowy street ok.
Any thoughts are aprrieciated, thanks. :beer:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,620 Posts
I think you will not have too many issues. I had a 4x4 with the V6 and had no problems.

·
Registered
490 Posts
...depends on "which" Wrangler. There are some that are horrible, a few that are great. But, no matter how bad, I'm sure they are still better than Contitracs. Our '07 Mariner was a fwd (2.3). It did great in the winter with Destination ATs on.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I got a set of Michelin X-Ice coming for my truck... those tires in AWD are gonna stick to the road and not let go like a guard pitbull on a robbers leg! (snow is cleared relatively fast from the roads here, but they do not use salt on most streets so packed snow turning to ice is an issue).

I had Michelin Alpine Ice tires on my old Bronco II and in 4wd without any form of traction control it was awesome to drive in winter.

Pat

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I have a V6 FWD and it does fine in both Toronto and Orillia winters. I don't have to modify my acceleration much, but do modify braking habits. I have Goodyear Nordics for Orillia winters, which are closer to A/T tread with sharp blocky shoulder treads and a decent tread void. In Toronto I used Michelin X-Ice tires, which are more suited to icy conditions than deep snow. I did run the original tires for two winters, managing to slide through an Ottawa intersection during heavy rain, and do a 540-degree spin on the 401 during a snowstorm. Of the two people I know in London, one swears by his Blizzaks, and the other swears no winter tires are needed. You should watch the Youtube videos in the Transport Canada sticky in Exterior Mods and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Heh, I bought my Escape in a blizzard! This is after car shopping in snow and freezing rain here in St. Joseph. :frozen: I bought it on Dec 23 last year, drove it back to my apartment in the blizzard, and then the very next day drove 200 miles to Detroit to visit family in heavy rain. It does seem to do pretty well. I have managed to slide it few feet once or twice, but that was because I misjudged my speed and took a turn a bit too fast.

It has Dayton Timberline ATs on it with plenty of tread (I think the tires were near new when I bough the truck).

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
kkreit01 said:
...depends on "which" Wrangler. There are some that are horrible, a few that are great. But, no matter how bad, I'm sure they are still better than Contitracs.
I don't know about that...I must have bought the worst Wranglers ever. I had an F-250 with the Camper Special option. I bought some Wranglers. They were the pits. Slide this way when wet outside, noisey, spin the tires on wet pavement, got stuck in mud (off road tread pattern supposedly) and just crappy wearing. After about 5K I demanded some recompensation for the poor quality of tire that they were. I did show them the towing bills. I got it, as I bought the tires at Sam's. :thumb: :thumb: Kuddos to Sam's Club. If I had bought them at the Goodyear store, I would have Surely been Out of Luck. They gave me, yes gave me, some Michelins. LTX? or LTZ? I forget which they were. Good tire in any case. Lasted over 50K miles and no noise, no irregular wear, no spinning, sliding or getting stuck in the muck. Too bad, I don't think they make that tire any longer. I think they were about $50 with tax each for those that had to pay for them.

Maybe I'll try to find some for the Tribbie at the appropriate time (when I shell the Conti's).

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
If they gave you an off-road tread Michelin, it may have been the LTX A/T, which I run in the summer. The compound is too hard for winters here and there is only a single sipe per tread block; however they are great in the summer, save for some really rainy days. They are discontinued and replaced with the LTX A/T2. Don't know much about those.

There was also an all-season LTX which seems to be popular on work trucks.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Maybe an LTX all season. I had what was essentially a work truck. The Camper Special back then got me a four tone paint job, captains chairs, heavy duty battery , high output alternator, trailer four pin hook up (never used by me, I had a slide in), reinforced bed mounts for the slide in, 351 HO engine with three speed C6 Cruisomatic trans. Otherwise, it was a F-250. Brute strength. :yes:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Winter has finally arived in London. A little later than most would expect in this part of the country.
I set out this morning in 4" of snow on a few streets the plows hadn't seen yet, I'm glad to say my truckster was happily pushing along with very little wheel spin or sliding.
Now that I've had a chance to get a little snow around the wheels I'm pretty confident this vehicle will do quite well with the Goodyear SR/A's.
A little extra ground clearance will help, the Focus I was driving would have been sliding on it's belly this morning.
Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.