Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an '06 Escape FWD V6 auto trans, and I wanted to know if I can tow it behind my motorhome. I would like to flat tow it but I was wondering if anyone has done this with theirs. I have heard of people having transmissions burn up after towing them but it seems to be only on the '09 and up. Has anyone tried this or should I get a tow dolly?

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
This is what the manual says on page 226:

** EDIT ** Hmmm... Looks like the direct link I posted above won't work. The manual can be selected and downloaded by CLICKING HERE

If you need to have your vehicle towed, contact a professional towing service or, if you are a member of a roadside assistance program, your roadside assistance service provider.

It is recommended that your vehicle be towed with a wheel lift and dollies or flatbed equipment. Do not tow with a slingbelt. Ford Motor Company has not approved a slingbelt towing procedure.

On FWD vehicles, if your vehicle is to be towed from the front, ensure proper wheel lift equipment is used to raise the front wheels off the ground. The rear wheels can be left on the ground when towed in this fashion.

If your vehicle is to be towed from the rear using wheel lift equipment, it is recommended that the front wheels (drive wheels) be placed on a dolly to prevent damage to the automatic transaxle.

On 4WD vehicles, it is required that your vehicle be towed with a wheel lift and dollies or flatbed equipment with all the wheels off the ground to prevent damage to the automatic transaxle, 4WD system or vehicle. 2006 Escape
Looks like you need a dolly...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
shoulda bough a manual transmission for flat towing. ya i would get a dolly.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I'd go for a car trailer. But that's just me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the responses and the link to the manual. I guess I need a tow dolly if I want to take my Escape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts