Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys and gals...

Sorry it's been a while since I was last here!

Last night my baby broke down. Over heating first, then the steam from under the hood fogged the windshield. It started popping, grinding, and sputtering. It wasn't shifting all that good before...but it got really bad last night. The temp would come back down at idle, but the minute I would start to move it would over heat in a matter of seconds. As I rolled ahead I noticed a fluid all over the ground, but alas it was midnight and hard to tell what it was.
Checked the oil and it's full full, I just had the oil change done 2 weeks ago. I have kept up on regular maintenance of course, and got extended warrantee when I bought it.
I was able to limp it to a garage, but when it rolld up, it sounded dry and scratchy.
For the last couple days it has been whistling. the harder I step on the gas...the more it whistled.
The b/f is thinking possibly transmission, or oil pump.
There was no smell to the fluid that came out the bottom.

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else and if so what was it?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm not a mechanic but this sounds more like a cooling system issue. I'd be checking to see if the water pump is the culprit in this one. A hot engine will run terrible and can make you think there is a lot more going on than there really is.
Just my 2 cents worth :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sounds like your thermostat is stuck closed or the water pump has failed (both cooling system issues.) Either one of these issues means that your vehicle is unable to take heat out of the engine and disperse it into the air [via the radiator.] You mention instant overheating while driving... That means that the coolant in your engine is not getting to the radiator.

The steam is from the overheating of the engine and coolant. The puddle under the vehicle is a result of that steam condensation and reforming back into a liquid once it's had a chance to "cool" off.

In this case your vehicle needs service, especially since you continued to drive while overheating. You can try limping it to the dealer, but I am afraid that overheating your engine for even short periods of time can cause more damage to very expensive parts. Thus I would avoid driving. Instead I would call a tow company or your Ford dealer service center and arrange for towing to the service center and then repairs.

Trick = when your car overheats - turn on the heater FULL hot and full fan speed. The heater pulls it's "heat" out of hot coolant so it can act as a secondary means of cooling your vehicle when something is wrong. You can roll the windows down to keep yourself semi-comfortable. It won't cure an overheating problem but it can act like a mini radiator in emergency situations.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I limped it to the dealer I bought it from...turns out...the Rad hose went. And wouldn't you know Ford made a 'special' rad hose for the 03 escape...(I dunno if any other years have it but I would assume so.)
I have been keeping an eye on the oil...I did an oil change right away to get rid of the cooked oil and have been paying close attention to make sure it isn't 'mily' looking.
So far so good.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah a specially moulded part. And wouldn't you know it's only thing NOT covered by my warrantee. But yeah she is running fine now. Did another oil change recently and have had no problems at all. Matter of fact, we took the family on vacation in it the end of October and it did great. 14 hour drive and she ran like a champ. I was really quite impressed.
The only thing I would change about it...the 6-disc changer is crap!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.