Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Can anyone tell me the model number (H11, H10, H3, etc.) for the 2006 Ford Escape Fog light? I'm looking to update the bulb to match the new headlight bulbs I got (super bright white ones). Anyone have any recommended sites of where you can get these types of bulbs?
Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I believe I found the model number for the 2006 fog light bulb (H10). Can anyone confirm if that is correct? jpark, you seem to know a lot about these vehicles and their parts, would you be able to confirm this? This was pulled from the 2006 owners manual (Foglamp (front - 2) H10) but I read in a different post that you commented on that the bulbs were PS24WFF (H16?) fog lamps. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Yes, but Ford did change that bulb in the middle of the 2006 model year, so the only thing you can do is check which one you have. You can do this without removing the bulb.

If you see a blackened or silvered top on a cylinder-shaped bulb, it's a 9145/H10. If the bulb is entirely clear and round, it's the PS24WFF/H16.

Someone in another forum called the bulb the PS24WTF.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
jpark said:
Yes, but Ford did change that bulb in the middle of the 2006 model year, so the only thing you can do is check which one you have. You can do this without removing the bulb.

If you see a blackened or silvered top on a cylinder-shaped bulb, it's a 9145/H10. If the bulb is entirely clear and round, it's the PS24WFF/H16.

Obviously he knows something that you don't... :confused:

:D :peace:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
...or he renamed it while trying to get it out of the socket.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
...or when he saw the price of just one of them at the parts desk.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jpark said:

Hey jpark, thank you for this info. By the "blackened or silvered top" do you mean the tip of the bulb? Also, obviously another option would be to just take the bulb out and see what the number is on the bulb (and something I'll need to do to replace the bulb) but on that note...how do you get into the foglight bulb housing and change that thing? The owners manual goes over how to replace every bulb except that one. As always, thanks for any advice/help.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:thumb:

Yes, the tip that's visible through the lens.

You'll need to remove the front side of the splash shield in each wheel opening to get at the fog lamp bulbs.

Here's a how to: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25#p126

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Actually, the 9145/H10 has another problem, although not anything dealing with the bulb itself.

Many of the aftermarket places try to sell you a 9005, which has an identical electrical connector and a similar socket. By similar, there's a different tab that prevents you from easily inserting the wrong bulb, but many of the aftermarket 9005s have a thinner base that allows them to be inserted slightly sideways so that they can fit into a 9145 housing. But a 9005 is a 65W bulb (with no black/silver tip), not 41W like a 9145, so you run the risk of overheating the lens and/or your wiring.

You're better off using a SilverStar 9145ST, or any other aftermarket bulb that's guaranteed to be a 41W 9145 and not a 9005.

Just be careful with what you buy, and don't put anything in the housing that's more than 41W. BTW, the wiring leading to the fog lamps is only 20 gauge.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
What do you need the harness for? #14 wire is fine to use with #20, but the rated capacity remains the same as if you used all #20 wire.

42 watts is fine, though I'm not sure what they mean by 130 watts "output". Light output of automotive bulbs are measured in mean spherical candela (MSCD) or lumens.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With the harness I guess I was just thinking along the lines of if you put in brighter/better bulbs to upgrade the wiring harness. Not worth it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Squishy said:
What do you need the harness for? #14 wire is fine to use with #20, but the rated capacity remains the same as if you used all #20 wire.

42 watts is fine, though I'm not sure what they mean by 130 watts "output". Light output of automotive bulbs are measured in mean spherical candela (MSCD) or lumens.
ps - this is the response I got from the manufacture re: the watts output number - "Some manufacturers will put a wattage output which is just a number they make up to state how much wattage it would take a stock bulb to produce the light output of there bulb. The wattage draw is the main number that you want to look at"

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
They're actually 42W. That was just a typo on my part.

It's not just the wiring. The factory housings aren't designed for anything that runs much hotter than a stock 9145.

And to add to that, I have no idea how much current the factory fog lamp relay can take.

So I'd stick with the stock wattages to avoid any problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts