Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving last night, and I was curious if anyone had ever tried or would know how to bypass the relay or whatever causes the foglights to shut off when the highbeams are activated. Could be a fun weekend project... :D...I do alot of night driving, sometimes in the middle of NO where, so extra lighting from the fogs with the highbeams would definately help. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
328 Posts
if you pop your foglight switch out and test which wire gets power when you hit the switch, that is your foglight wire. from there i wired my own relay and switch and connected it to that wire so if i want fogs on at anytime i hit my own after market switch. works like a charm.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
what does your highway traffic act say? here in ontario your fog lights are required to shut off when your hi beams are activated. i dont know why. but thats what it reads.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Breensy said:
if you pop your foglight switch out and test which wire gets power when you hit the switch, that is your foglight wire. from there i wired my own relay and switch and connected it to that wire so if i want fogs on at anytime i hit my own after market switch. works like a charm.
Oh sweet :) thanks bud! Quick question, is there any way to do it with the factory switch? Or do you have to use a new relay and switch?

CrashNburn said:
what does your highway traffic act say? here in ontario your fog lights are required to shut off when your hi beams are activated. i dont know why. but thats what it reads.
It varies state to state, here in New York I believe there is no specific law regaurding fog lights and other lighting to be on at the same time. Whereas in Virgina for example where my Dad lives, they actually wouldn't let his Jeep Wrangler pass inspection when they first moved down there, becuase he had aftermarket fog lights that he installed, and they could be turned on with the highbeams. :roll:

·
Registered
328 Posts
well there is another way, its the same idea but easyer.

here is one "speedy" wrote on another forum:

"It's very easy to run the fog lights off of the parking lights. You just need to pop out the switch, cut red/black. Now go over to the blue/red wire. Strip back insulation, an run the end off the red/black going TO the switch into the stripped part of the blue/red wire. Tape this connection, and
tape off the red/black going away from switch. Just keep illumination up 3/4 to full and your fog lights will come on with parking lights. @#%$ of a lot easier than running new wires... "

think this works on all escapes/tributes but wire colours may vary.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Fogs won't on dark country roads; you want some proper driving lamps instead. The light from fog lamps isn't thrown far enough to help with the high beams, and using them with low beams will overilluminate the foreground and reduce your night vision. They may give the illusion of more visibility by illuminating the sides of the road and the lane markings, but that is their only purpose - to allow you to see your immediate foreground in bad conditions. Fogs should only be used in fog and heavy falling rain/snow, and sparingly (i.e., with no other drivers around) on water-, snow-, and ice-covered roads.

Crash, I don't know that the HTA even defines "fog lamps" - the only limitation I know of is having a maximum of four lighted lamps producing more than 300 candela.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RyanRage said:
Here in Pennsylvania, I know It's considered a motor violation to have fog lights on with high beams.
:roll: ................... "I'm sorry officer I had to have my high beams and fog lights on so I could see you in the median further back in time to slow down"

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
gmercedesbenz said:
:roll: ................... "I'm sorry officer I had to have my high beams and fog lights on so I could see you in the median further back in time to slow down"
Then I'll add a ticket for misaligned fog lights. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts