Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired my 2004 Maverick (OK OK Escape) here in the UK, and I'm very pleased with the whole package, low milage and full main dealer service history. Having said that, this site has given me several ideas to improve things. Thanks guys.

One reason I got the Mav at a good price was the fact that both the front rectangular fog lights were broken. The guy selling it had an invoice showing that he had had them replaced a year or two back but stone damage from road gravel had put them both out again and he didn't want to spend the money again. I didn't worry too much as I thought replacements would be cheap (yeah I know big mistake)

After I'd bought the car a trip to my local Ford main dealer's space department was "enlightening" Just to supply the OEM units they wanted £330! (about $500) up with this I would not put!!

So off I went to the local Mazda main dealer. they were even worse and couldn't even be certain what shape they were and if they would fit the Mav.

What happened to the "good old days" when the parts lists were on worn, oily paper or at best a grubby microfiche, and the stores man was at lest 150 years old and was always coming uo with good ideas stating with "have you tried ....." and the suggestion fixed the problem?
Hmmm perhaps my memory is fading.

So on to plan B...I know, lets see what price those nice guys accross the pond pay, and maybe I can import a pair, after all I'm in no hurry to fix it. OK good purchase price..but you want how much to ship and insure them, how much import duty and VAT (Value added tax) has to be added !!!???? Grrrrr.

The 2001-04 Mav (and Tribute) is a fairly rare truck over here and a quick check of on line scrap yards (wreckers?) drew a blank...Plan C hits the pan.

OK... now I'm determined to find a way around this problem. Bring out Plan D... Manufacturers are basically a lazy buch, if they can make a new production unit with the guys in the design studio specifying parts from other vehicles that they know do the job, are available, and don't affect profit margins, then they will. This practice was very common in 1970's and 80's in the UK. I had no reason to think things had changed. I looked at all the Fords for sale in the UK on e-bay from around that period where I wasn't sure what the front fog lights looked like. From what I could recall most used small round things to blend in with their design concepts, but a check over a few days showed nothing like the Mav's rectangular units, On the basis that the Mav is basically a rebadged Tribute, I wondered if Mazda had used something from another model from that time.

RESULT!! The 626 Mazda (not sure if it was called that in the States?) from around 1998 to 2001 had similar fog lights, and a small Mazda called a Demio (no I'd never heard of it either) had very similar units fitted to their top of the range model, badged as a GSi in the UK. Found one for sale not too far away on a lot. Saunter in and convince saleman I was interested but only if the lights were good. Well I had to say something to explain my crawling around at the front of the car with a tape measure.

So where do I find a pair for sale? Before phoning the scrap yards again, e-bay came up with the solution. Within a few days a dealer was offering a brand new set of Demio fog lights for £35 (about $50). They were delivered shortly after, and still looked correct for the Mav even though the plastic mounting brackets were obviously not right. (they came with the full fitting kit, Mazda part no: DC35-V7-220). Off with the bumper cover (where did they hide that last scrivit in the wheel arch!), and once the mounting brackets had been swapped around, they fitted!! Also fitted clear Lamin-X film over the lenses to protect against stone damage in future.

10% of original main dealer price, now that is something I am prepared to spend a bit of time on. Hope that might help others in a similar position. Now I just wonder what other parts might have been used off other vehicles??

Taff

·
Registered
197 Posts
WOW! You certainly did your homework. I had the same problem when I had a "special" relay go bad on the fans. Ford dealer wanted $65 for it, yet, they didn't have it and didn't know when they would. Strange. Anyway, a half dozen auto parts stores later, a guy at NAPA found it for me at a Mazda dealership for $16. Don't know why I didn't think of that first. Come to think of it, I wonder if I could have just used a standard waterproof relay? Oh well. Good job on the research.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$65 for a relay!! That's worse than the price I was quoted for the lights.

You did a good job finding the same thing at $16 from a Mazda dealer. I might have tried an electrical componant dealer to see if I could find the same thing. I suspect that it would be hard to find out exactly what the performance specification of the relay was, and of course it all takes time!

I'm more convinced than ever that this kind of approach can save us all serious money. We just need everyone on the site to record what is a substitute for what.

Keep up the good work.

Taff

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yep, us British Maverick drivers have a poor time when sourcing cheap parts..

A good place for mechanical / service parts is this site

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/Car-Parts

Esp since they have a branch about 3 miles away from my home.

As for the Mazda 626, they do have quite a bit in common with the Mav, as the floorpan is derived from a 626,but Mavericks have very little in common with other UK Fords, except the Ranger.

BTW, Taff :welcome:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.