Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know and can explain how the fog lights are hooked up?

I'm doing the conversion putting fog lights on my XLS, I already have the lights installed, but there is no way to hook them up. I found one 2 pin connector that appears to be for that purpose and it wont fit into the connector on the fog lamp.

What kind of harness do I need to complete this? My fog lights came with only the bulb, no wire or connector on it.

Thanks for any info, this is really getting on my nerves. Every junk yard I've visited so far does not have any Escape's. The nearest Pull-A-Part I found is several hours drive away, with the only one confirming having an Escape being more like 3 hours away. I'd like to kind of know what I'm after when I go, or possibly order it from them if I'm sure what I need.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:pics:

View of both connectors. The one on the truck is too small to fit into the bulbs connector, so I assume something bridges the gap and possibly goes on to the other light, since both could get power from the same plug in.

Just the fog light, this is what came in the box:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Now THAT is weird! The connector looks like the connector for a 9005/9005/9145 bulb (as in the 2005 and 2006 Escapes), not for the 898 that's in the 2001-2004 fog lamps. Did the previous owner modify the fog lamps?

The easy way to fix this would be to splice in an 898 connector (http://autolumination.com/connectors.htm). They're only $3.49 each.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks JP, maybe I can rig this up on my own after all.

It's unlikely anyone has messed around in there besides me. It may have had something funny stuck on one of the collisions it was repaired from, or in the first 400 miles before it's been in the family. I think it's odd it has DRL's and a block heater as well being an XLS, maybe it was a Canada bound vehicle that got re-directed.

Does it hook up on the driver side too (I haven't found a connector there yet) or does the one split off to power the drivers side fog lamp?

I need to check that connector with a multimeter to see if it powers up when I hit the button inside. Do I need to have the computer programmed? I've heard some had to have the computer switch on, but on the 01 it seems someone reported not needing to.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, just want to run this by everyone since I'm not 100% sure of myself here but I'm thinking I need this:

My bulb has GM 898 marked on it. I went to the local NAPA and he found some GM connector for $20 each, needless to say I'd rather order it myself, and $4 a piece is a lot better.

I tested the plug on the trucks harness with a multimeter and it's hot when the fog light button is on inside :yahoo: so once I get these connectors I can whip out a set of wire cutters and some red and black wire and I'm good to go I think.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well they didn't send what was in the photo, but I made it work cause I was tired of waiting on it. It doesn't lock on the bulb but it fits good enough, so a little tape if it falls out for some reason and I should be fine.

Glad to say this is now finished, thanks everyone for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.