Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6358&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

So I just finished a total strip down of my car(everything except taking the dashboard off, I drew the line there) to installing sound dampening/deadening stuff. This includes taking out all the seats, carpet, panels, and headliner and installing MDF/CCF and CLD tiles. ran some wires under the carpet and I then built a sub box and makeshift amp rack for the 10" sub and two amps I installed. I'll get right to the pics with more detail below and please disregard my horrible carpentry skills:

Spare tire well with stock dampener busted out. Be aware the rod that sticks up can be unscrewed with a plumbing pipe. You don't have to cut it off!

Side well with stock dampener busted out

BXT II installed in spare tire well

Car with all the seats and carpet taken out

Bad picture of spare tire well with sound deadening

BXT II installed on the front floor

Molex grommets, my favorite part of the entire project

with the new speaker wire run to the door

Door ready to be dampened and sealed

Dampener added

Sheet of tin with butyl backing, about to be screwed on to the door holes

Screwed on

Holes sealed up with tin/CLD tiles

Cutting out MLV for door

Sawfest 2k10

Parts of the sub box/amp rack

No close ups of this box of shelf because it is some pretty ugly construction. Sealed, but ugly.

Sub/Amps installed. Two extra layers of MDF on top of the sub box are to allow room for the sub baffle to move. The sub amp sits underneath the X4R pictured on top

CCF on top for vibration reduction once the top board is installed

Top MDF board installed with sweet grill cut outs

Simply beautiful

With back seats installed

The sub was too big to be able to do a flush mount install so there is about a 2" gap between the top of the back seats :cry:

wiring tucked underneath amp rack

High Density Fiberboard speaker baffle underneath the CCF which the speaker is about to be mounted on

Not nearly as well done as fourthmeal's installs but thats because I have 0 carpentry skills. The 2" gap over the backseats sucks, but it will still be functional as a large trunk space when I need it to be.

Some stats on the very budget minded install for a 2003 Ford Escape, all prices include shipping:

MLV: 90sqft - $150 off ebay
CLD - 36.5sqft - $110 from RaamMat BXTII
CCF - 144sqft of carious thickness - $76 from http://www.closedcellfoams.com/gymnasticrubber.html
Butyl Rope/Glue - 2 cans, 2 ropes - $50 various internet sites
MDF Lumbar for sub box/amp rack - 32sqft - $32 from Lowe's
Other Misc expenses - $70(tin sheets for door sealing, metal screws, etc.)

Total - ~$420

Audio equipment installed, a lot was bought used from the classifieds here, thanks guys!:

Kenwood X4R 4 channel amp for front tweeters and mid range $180
Powerbass 1000d for sub - $160
10" TC Sounds DVC sub - $115
6.5" Diamond Audio components - $110
Pioneer 6900BHT HU - $115

Total: ~$720 including sub wiring

Total for audio and sound deadening: ~$1,250

So I was bad about taking pictures during the dampening/deadening stage, but that's mainly because all I've done is stripped it down, put in vibration damper and sound deadening, not a whole lot to see and I definitely did not spend time to make it look pretty.

I've used all 36.5 square feet of raammat BXTII on the floor, ceiling, and back panels including the hatch. I only stripped the old dampener out of the trunk area. I got too rushed to do the front so I just laid a majority of the new dampener over the old, factory tar based stuff. A tip for removing the stock deadner is use dry ice to freeze it, and make sure you use A LOT of it. At $12 a pound I figure it would probably take around 5-6 pounds to do the whole car. I used 2 pounds just to do the trunk area and it was not enough. The less you use, the more difficult and time consuming it will be. Trust me, use a lot and make sure the stock stuff gets real frozen before you start busting it out.

On the floor of the car I used 3/8" CCF with a layer of MLV. This includes the floor of the trunk and the spare tire well. The spare tire is coming out to make room for the sub/amps. The ceiling was 1/8" CCF with a layer of MLV. The back hatch and the back panels used 1/4" CCF with a layer of MLV. The back panels were by far the hardest things to get to fit back on, probably because of the weird shape of the tire wells.

Overall it's probably taken me around 60-70 hours to do this, and I feel like I rushed in a lot of places. I took all the seats/carpet out in one day and did the floor and that took me about 8 hours of work. It took me about 15 hours to do the doors, probably another 15 to do the back hatch/trunk area, 5 to do the ceiling. I spent about 20 hours measuring, cutting, and building the stuff that fits in the trunk as well as wiring everything and installing it. Overall I would say I rushed in a lot of areas just because the project seemed to go on forever. Part of the reason was I had no HU or speakers installed and so driving around in my car for a month with no sound system really made me want to get it installed asap. I guess I have kind of an instant gratification issue.

There was an issue with the X4R amp only putting out two channels so it's currently being sent back for a replacement, but the short time I got to try it out it sounds pretty good. The car is quieter, but I don't know if its quieted enough to warrant all the time and material/money I put in to it. Also, I think trying to resell a car you told someone you took apart and put all this stuff inside is probably going to turn off most buyers, so in the end I don't know if it's worth it. I think it would have been much better if it was a secondary car that I could work more slowly along on instead of ripped stuff out and driving around with panels or speakers missing. Like I said, I got tired of that and started doing a more rushed job as it went on.

Oh yeah and special thanks to fourthmeal and co. for the help and encouragement to do this!

·
Registered
836 Posts
This picture says it all:

That is one heck of a project. Good job in getting everything stripped out all at once and doing it all. I did mine in small sections. Plus I did not go nearly as in depth as you have by removing everything. It is true that the amount of work may not equal the re-sell at all, but as long as you notice a difference and you like the outcome, that is all that matters.

So I assume you no longer have a spare then? I plan to make a new storage compartment under my floor. I will keep my sub box on top as it really is not in the way. I want to make a compartment like the wet trunk option so that I can lift up a top and access items underneath. Actually it will be three compartments - one for storage, one for the jack and one for access to the amps. The stock plastic tub is such a waste fo space.

Nice job on the install.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sinister mob said:
This picture says it all:

That is one heck of a project. Good job in getting everything stripped out all at once and doing it all. I did mine in small sections. Plus I did not go nearly as in depth as you have by removing everything. It is true that the amount of work may not equal the re-sell at all, but as long as you notice a difference and you like the outcome, that is all that matters.

So I assume you no longer have a spare then? I plan to make a new storage compartment under my floor. I will keep my sub box on top as it really is not in the way. I want to make a compartment like the wet trunk option so that I can lift up a top and access items underneath. Actually it will be three compartments - one for storage, one for the jack and one for access to the amps. The stock plastic tub is such a waste fo space.

Nice job on the install.
Thanks! Yep the spare is out. I haven't used in the 7 years I had the car and I figured with a cell phone, AAA, and a can of spare tire inflate I should be good for most problems that could arise. It's not like I drive around in remote mountain areas anyways.

I'll post another update once I get an amp replacement and get everything tweaked.

Thanks again for all the help on this board!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Nice work! :thumb:
I wanna see pics of the finished product!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts