Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Recently bought a used 2012 Ford Escape and just seeing some oil sweat/leak coming from the oil base pan area but its not the oil base pan its coming from the block the oil pan is connected to, I dont know what the block is called and would like to know the name as well as If it's a job I can do on my own or do I need to seek a certified mechanic.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Is this a 2.5 I4? There is an oil filter adapter with a gasket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for not putting all information and replying late. But this is a 2012 Ford Escape V6 3.0L

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
If I see what I think the picture depicts, you have a drop of oil coming off the bottom of the filter. Most times you have that, it is due to the filter not being tightened quite enough, leading to seepage past the flat O-ring that seals to the filter-block adapter or in this case, the side of the block machined surface.
I would try turning the filter CW maybe 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn. If it turns easily, give it a bit more. Wipe the filter clean of any lube, and drive for a while. Check back after doing some miles.
tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I see what I think the picture depicts, you have a drop of oil coming off the bottom of the filter. Most times you have that, it is due to the filter not being tightened quite enough, leading to seepage past the flat O-ring that seals to the filter-block adapter or in this case, the side of the block machined surface.
I would try turning the filter CW maybe 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn. If it turns easily, give it a bit more. Wipe the filter clean of any lube, and drive for a while. Check back after doing some miles.
tom
Thank you for your response, I did a complete oil change and still dont see a leak or seepage other than what was already there. I now see slight oil on one of the bolts but now it looks like it's gone.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
4 Posts
when you change the filter oil gets places you may not see or expect, is it possible it is simply oil from a change that was due to the change and NOT a leak/weep? You may do a OCD level of cleaning but did the last guy? The escape uses a aluminum block so keep in mind as it expands with heat often filters will get looser, if the filter was already loose it can get to the point you get oil getting past the filter gasket under pressure.

Start by cleaning things very well.
Go to the local drug store and buy a can of spray foot powder - must be white not clear
Spray the area that is suspect and wait for the powder to dry (usually a minute)
Start the car and run it at idle with the temperature at full normal running temperature
check for dark spots in the powder this is moisture.
If none then run the engine at higher rpm (2000-3000) for a bit to make sure you have no leaks under pressure.

If it stays clean you likely saw old oil from a change, no worries.
If you find a dark spot that grows you should clean that area and re-test.
still weeping then decide the fix and if you are capable.

As a fyi in the pictures you can see some liquid gasket oozing out by the filter mount. Be sure to never try and remove this by pulling on it or you can compromise sealing. if you must remove it cut it off with a sharp blade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when you change the filter oil gets places you may not see or expect, is it possible it is simply oil from a change that was due to the change and NOT a leak/weep? You may do a OCD level of cleaning but did the last guy? The escape uses a aluminum block so keep in mind as it expands with heat often filters will get looser, if the filter was already loose it can get to the point you get oil getting past the filter gasket under pressure.

Start by cleaning things very well.
Go to the local drug store and buy a can of spray foot powder - must be white not clear
Spray the area that is suspect and wait for the powder to dry (usually a minute)
Start the car and run it at idle with the temperature at full normal running temperature
check for dark spots in the powder this is moisture.
If none then run the engine at higher rpm (2000-3000) for a bit to make sure you have no leaks under pressure.

If it stays clean you likely saw old oil from a change, no worries.
If you find a dark spot that grows you should clean that area and re-test.
still weeping then decide the fix and if you are capable.

As a fyi in the pictures you can see some liquid gasket oozing out by the filter mount. Be sure to never try and remove this by pulling on it or you can compromise sealing. if you must remove it cut it off with a sharp blade.
Thanks for your reply, I will definitely try the aforementioned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts