Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I bought a 2009 XLT V6 4WD that I get on Monday. It has the leather package, sunroof, and convenience pack.

The guy was talking extended warranty - I've never bought one, and I am not inclined to buy this one, but I thought I'd seek out any opinions if it is a good buy - in other words, are there any gremlins I should know about?

The car has 12,000km on it, and I will do about 20,000km a year. It has 2 years and 4 months left on the bumper to bumper (and 48,000km) and the 5yr/100,000km powertrain of course. I will be out of bumper-to-bumper before it is paid off, but still have powertrain after it is paid off in 3 years. Once it is paid off I see no need for a warranty. I also do some repairs myself.

So, is it worth it? He is offering a 5/100 bumper-to-bumper for $1400 (list is a whopping $2300!) but I am inclined to just go with Ford's warranty. Even the ext warranty has a $100 per operation deductable!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Are you sure about your 2 years, 4 months bumper to bumper? I bought my pre-owned 2009 back in December and asked when the warranty started which was back in October 2008. So I knew when buying it, I have less than 2 years bumper to bumper left. With how little I drive, I'm fairly certain I'll reach my warranty expiry date before I get to 60,000 km. As with anything I buy, I did not opt for any extended warranty.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
markhampete said:
Are you sure about your 2 years, 4 months bumper to bumper? I bought my pre-owned 2009 back in December and asked when the warranty started which was back in October 2008. So I knew when buying it, I have less than 2 years bumper to bumper left. With how little I drive, I'm fairly certain I'll reach my warranty expiry date before I get to 60,000 km. As with anything I buy, I did not opt for any extended warranty.
Actually I got the warranty in-service report and the car was put into service on August 9, 2009. It was registered to Ford of Canada in Quebec so I guess they were dumping the remaining 09s into their service/sales rep fleets last summer. The vehicle was built in April 2009 but it is the in-service date that matters.

·
Registered
99 Posts
kmoose said:
markhampete said:
Actually I got the warranty in-service report and the car was put into service on August 9, 2009. It was registered to Ford of Canada in Quebec so I guess they were dumping the remaining 09s into their service/sales rep fleets last summer. The vehicle was built in April 2009 but it is the in-service date that matters.
Good. You should be fine. Extended warranties to me is more like "Prepaid Repairs" :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Take the $1400 and put it into a high interest account or 6 month CD or something of that nature. Let it continue to accumulate over the life of the vehicle. When you need repairs after warranty you will have the money set aside already and hopefully you will still come out ahead. :beer:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TopElimn8r said:
Take the $1400 and put it into a high interest account or 6 month CD or something of that nature. Let it continue to accumulate over the life of the vehicle. When you need repairs after warranty you will have the money set aside already and hopefully you will still come out ahead. :beer:
Exactly what I have always done. Lock into a 30 day GIC that automatically rolls over every 30 days. Then, if I do get socked with a big repair, I'm only a maximum of 30 days away from paying off the Visa bill. It's like my own little warranty, and if I end up selling the car without using it, I now have a downpayment on the new car!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts