Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my local Ford dealership today, to obtain some touch-up paint for my Maverick, plus a new rear wiper blade.
BAD mistake!!! :doh:
I discovered that the VIN plate for my car shows that it was assembled in the USA, NOT in the Far East, where 99.9% of Mavericks were produced, :shrug: the colour is indeed Gold Ash, but my dealer cannot obtain it, or any other parts for my car, they suggested I try eBay USA for any parts that I require, and get the paint mixed at a paint factors, or Halfords, gosh that's sooo helpfull!!! :rant:
However, I found myself looking at a Ford Kuga, hmm, they seem to be a 4X4 version of the Focus C-max, which was comfirmed by the salesman, they are only importing 2000 for the next 2 years to the UK, 900 Zetec and 1100 Titanium models, the only difference seems to be Leather seats, centre console trim and £2000.00.
Anyhow, I'm off to testdrive one tomorrow, although if I do order one, there is a 6month waiting list, unless I pick a colour the dealer already has in stock.
It looks like Ford GB are doing another half hearted Maverick II style sales push again.....

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
USA? I thought that all Mavericks were US built. I understood the far east Mavericks were actually different in some respects (looks). But I don't really know. I just remember reading that the Kansas assembly plant built them out for some time. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jonas1022 said:
USA? I thought that all Mavericks were US built. I understood the far east Mavericks were actually different in some respects (looks). But I don't really know. I just remember reading that the Kansas assembly plant built them out for some time. :shrug:
According to my local ford dealer, all the right hand drive Mavericks / Escapes should have been made in the far East, but a small amount ended up being shipped from America, presumably to use up the parts in the factory before they introduced the 2004 version over there. (dealer quote, not mine)
After they double checked my vin number, it would appear that I now own a uk spec Escape, hmm, must change the bootlid badge now, yet more expense! :lol:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mind you, the Ford dealer can't be too good, when they took details of my car, they asked if it was the short, or long wheelbase version! :hyst:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Mind you, the Ford dealer can't be too good, when they took details of my car, they asked if it was the short, or long wheelbase version! :hyst:
Love how "sharp" vehicle sales types are!!!!! :boring: :tease: :boring: :worry:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
cbramsey said:
camusdarrach said:
Love how "sharp" vehicle sales types are!!!!! :boring: :tease: :boring: :worry:
Yup! They are like new pencils. Pointless...

·
Registered
464 Posts
This is really strange. I wonder why US Ford would produce some RHD Escapes when all the Escapes pumped out of Japan are RHD.

Is there any Japanese writing anywhere on the car? Mine has a bit on the drivers door sill and some in the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I saw a Kuga on the A2 driving home from work the other day. The rear side windows are very small. I wonder if the size of the boot reflects this? Looked quite nice from behind with the twin exhausts. Interested to know what you think when you take it out Cam. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Mini Clubman has the same twin exhausts on it. Well, at least US spec versions do. What about in the UK?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Tribby said:
This is really strange. I wonder why US Ford would produce some RHD Escapes when all the Escapes pumped out of Japan are RHD.

Is there any Japanese writing anywhere on the car? Mine has a bit on the drivers door sill and some in the engine bay.

I don't know. The Mazda factory is on Hiroshima I believe.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to confirm, there is no japanese writing on any plates on the car, the vin number confirms that it was assembled in Kansas, the paint code for the car shows it to be Gold Ash, not the Champange silver that most of the UK Mavericks seem to be painted in...
Somebody, somewhere will know what has happened here???

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big Chris said:
I saw a Kuga on the A2 driving home from work the other day. The rear side windows are very small. I wonder if the size of the boot reflects this? Looked quite nice from behind with the twin exhausts. Interested to know what you think when you take it out Cam. :thumb:
Here is a summary of what I think of the Ford Kuga:

NOT A LOT :(

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Who the heck designed this car, do they live in the real world??

Here,s what I don't like about the Kuga.
The roofline is very low, coupled with a high window line, which meant that my son could'nt see out of the side windows even when sat on his baby seat, the huge blindspots at the rear corners, The absolutely huge transmission tunnel, and very high dashboard, all combined to give a claustrophobic feel to the interior, the boot is narrower and shorter than the Mavericks, but the parcel shelf is a lot higher, reducing visibility out of the rear window, not good for reversing a trailer with.
The doors are twice the thickness of the Mavericks, and weigh a lot more, my wife had trouble in closing them.
The engine, a 2.0 Diesel, is ok, not so sure about the new 4X4 system, seemed to struggle to find grip on the gravel track I drove down.
The test drive lasted for 10 minutes, the salesman would'nt allow any pictures to be taken..
All in all, I think that the £22.000 that the Titanium version costs will be spent on a Landrover Freelander instead.
Afterall, Ford state that only 2000 will be imported here in the next 2 years, so what about spare parts etc, I can see another Maverick II situation ariswing.
Indeed, there are no brochures available, was advised that I should look onto Fords website for any information on the car, eg spec, colours, etc.
Is this the way to sell a £22.000 car, I think not.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Thanks for responding on what you thought of the ' Kuga' Camusdarrach. Even if they export it down under i will not trade in. I like the external shape of the kuga. But have to admit the way you described interior, it sounds dissapointing. So it doesn't have a very high roofline. That is not an advantage. You mentioned the rear window view has been reduced.

A very high dashboard would not be practical. I am not keen on high window lines. At the moment in my escape, i can rest my arm with comfort on top of the driver door. Basically the arm rests level with the elbow outside. From your description i have anticipated that when driving a Kuga, the driver will not be able to support his arm comfortably on door frame.

I am picturing the driver with their arm on door, and it is at an odd angle. Actually we have a model down under, that has a disgustingly high window line. It is the 'Mitsubishi 380'. A friend of mine is a radio tech. He showed me all of the design faults. We experienced hysterics of laughter. Why? Because on the mitsubishi 380 it is impossible to rest your arm with ease on top of door frame.

He gave me a demo. Hop into drivers seat and put window down. Next the arm is positioned on top of door but at a ridiculous angle. Maybe about 45 to 50 degrees. You don't look very comfy there mate! :roll:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tell you what, stone, I wish that Ford GB had imported the new Australian Escape here, would have bought one straightaway, much better than the P.O.S. that is the Kuga, and yep, to drive one with the arm on the windowledge is most uncomfortable, I know, I tried !! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts