Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to wait till spring, but I felt the dreaded 40MPH shudder. So, I have to change tranny fluid.....like...now.

The two I'm thinking of buying are the Ford Mercon V fluid from the dealer (actually reasonably priced...surprising) or Mobil 1 Synthetic Mercon V.

I'm interested in hearing what others think about these fluids.

Also, I'm going to try Prowler and lietzke's method. Never tried it before. Anyone have a different take/tip on using that method?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
You can't go wrong with either selection. Also depends on how often you will change the fluid in the future. I drain and refill every 15k miles, so for me, synthetic is a waste of money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
The fluid issue has been debated for years and any formula should be fine.
If you want my opinion, I personally stick with the factory fill as labeled on my trans dipstick: "Mercon". I too have been draining 4qts every 15K since new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
Change the fluid with whatever method you feel comfortable with.Both fluids you mentioned I consider them good.
Now...if the shuddering reappears, which I'm afraid it will, sooner or later, go to a proper auto transmission shop, NOT A DEALER SHOP, and ask for a thorough line pressure test...
PS.:Start putting aside about $1500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

How do you guys feel about power flushing (with a machine). I spoke with my Transmission mechanic and their price for a power flush is about the same as it would cost me to buy a case of trans fluid. But I've heard differing opinions on power flushing. And yes, I trust this guy. He re-built the trans on my wife's Windstar, now it runs like silk....no fooling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Four_Eyes said:
Thanks guys.

How do you guys feel about power flushing (with a machine). I spoke with my Transmission mechanic and their price for a power flush is about the same as it would cost me to buy a case of trans fluid. But I've heard differing opinions on power flushing. And yes, I trust this guy. He re-built the trans on my wife's Windstar, not it runs like silk....no fooling.
The only thing wrong with flushing a transmission, or anything for that matter, with a machine is that you may free up some of the "garbage" that's been there for a while. But that's the idea right? As long as it comes out that's great. But if it doesn't, it can do more harm than good. My opinion is that unless it's been done from new, don't flush anything. Exchanging the fluid using the "Prowler 7-6-3 Method" is what I've used and had no ill effects. After that, I drain and fill 4 quarts every 10k miles. It's all a matter of preference. My .02 cents. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
From what I can see Four-Eyes has a good and trustworthy transmission man.I am sure that this specific mechanic will decide for flushing or not flushing from what he makes out after seeing the oil that comes out of the transmission.I personally would go along with his suggestion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was the dislodging of the gunk when using power flushes that made me consider the prowler method.

On the other hand, yes, this transmission guy know what he's doing. Plus he's going to take it for a test drive and give me his professional opinion. I know my way around most parts of my cars, but transmission, I've never been able to grasp it and leave it to a trusted pro.

The wife has it in the shop now.....we'll know shortly. Got my fingers crossed.

Thanks guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update : My tranny mechanic took it for a test drive and he did feel the shudder. It's slight, but it's there.

He checked for codes, nothing came up (I knew that already).

He said the fluid is a little low, so he checked for leaks, but didn't find any.

He and I agreed that a flush is the best course of action for now, so he's going to do that.

We'll see how it is over the next few weeks/months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
SUVord said:
Change the fluid with whatever method you feel comfortable with.Both fluids you mentioned I consider them good.
Now...if the shuddering reappears, which I'm afraid it will, sooner or later, go to a proper auto transmission shop, NOT A DEALER SHOP, and ask for a thorough line pressure test...
PS.:Start putting aside about $1500.
...or more... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
christophera said:
SUVord said:
Change the fluid with whatever method you feel comfortable with.Both fluids you mentioned I consider them good.
Now...if the shuddering reappears, which I'm afraid it will, sooner or later, go to a proper auto transmission shop, NOT A DEALER SHOP, and ask for a thorough line pressure test...
PS.:Start putting aside about $1500.
...or more... :(
Australian made "Lexotanils" must be very strong!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SUVord said:
Good luck and I wish you all the best. :beer:
Thanks. I took it out for a half hour test drive yesterday. Various speeds, various accelerations. Nothing crazy. Seems ok. Shuuder's gone. So I'll keep monitoring it and keeping my fingers crossed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
Four_Eyes said:
SUVord said:
Good luck and I wish you all the best. :beer:
Thanks. I took it out for a half hour test drive yesterday. Various speeds, various accelerations. Nothing crazy. Seems ok. Shuuder's gone. So I'll keep monitoring it and keeping my fingers crossed.
Glad to hear the good news and hope they stay that way.Cheers mate :beer:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top