Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the fuel door of our 2009 Escape, there is a label that says "Ford Recommends BP." How many people actually follow this? I have only put two non-BP tanks into our Escape, and both times it was because there was no BP station near and I didn't feel like pushing the vehicle to a BP station.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
my thoughts are this. All gas in the states have same QC, so it really doesn't matter what brand gas you use. Just my two cents. I use whatever is available at the time and I've never noticed a difference in performance. I do remember when one of the 76 stations disclosed to it's customers that the gas they had received had too much of something in it. I think they posted water. That time the vehicle did run rough and had very poor mileage.

·
Super Moderator
4,740 Posts
I have only used BP when I'm out of state. I'm not really concerned about which gas station I use as long as I had had no bad experience with them from water or other trash in the gas. I'm more concerned about saving money.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
BP and Ford have a withstanding alliance for almost thirty years now.
For that privilage BP pays millions each year.It is just a commercial gimmick and nothing more.
As for the disastrous Gulf calamity let us not forget the responsibilities of those who operated the platform and not only those who leased it.I am sure that the courts will have many years of hearings for the battles among the chief parties involved.Employees lost their lives!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have seen dyno data from the various gasoline peddlers. Based upon that the two best gas brands sold in Minneapolis are Kwik Trip and BP. Best power, best mileage, runs the cleanest. I've been using BP and Kwik Trip in my cars for the past 8 years.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I'm the loser that pumps BP 99% of the time. A major grocery chain here does business with BP... every $50 spent is 10 cents off gas. I've gotten as much as 70 cents off a gallon of gas (it's nice to have friends to go shopping with who don't have cars).

That and oddly, in some places near where I live, it's the cheaper option.

That beind said, if there were more Shells in the area, they would be my #2.

·
Registered
178 Posts
On page 289 of my Escape's owner's guide there is a BP logo that says, "Ford recommends BP." There are no BP stations in my part of Texas. On that same page it says to use 87 octane unleaded with a maximum of 10% ethanol blend. Well all the gas pumps here say that there may be up to 10% ethanol in the gas. There is also no stations with 87 octane fuel, they all have 86 octane because of the altitude (3200 ft ASL).

So... On this same page the guide says, "We do not recommend the use of gasolines labeled as "Regular" in high altitude areas that are sold with octane ratings less than 87." Then there is a note, "Use of any fuel other than those recommended may cause powertrain damage, a loss of vehicle perfromance, and repairs may not be covered under warranty."

When driving on the highway here on the Texas South Plains, I get great gas mileage, sometimes exceeding 30 MPG. When I go to Central Texas, to the hill country, my mileage drops to 28 MPG.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I believe the only BP stations around here are Arco's. If you look at their sign, there is a small BP logo in the bottom right.

When I first started driving, I was filling up there, but now that I've made a transition from cash, was working tip jobs, to debit/credit, I've moved to Quiktrip. Arco has always charged a fee for plastic transactions. It used to be $0.25, but now it's up to $0.65 and that is an additional $0.045/gallon. Quiktrip is a top tier gasoline company and if they're not the cheapest, they are within $0.01-$0.02/gallon of the cheapest recognizable station.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Ford's BP endorsement was merely a paid for commercial in the Ford manuals. The payout? I think Ford gets a heck of a price break on the gas provided to their testing facilities. ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've typically stopped at Chevron stations during the 130,000+ kilometres logged on our 2005 FEH.

Same with my 1964 Plymouth Valiant since I purchased it in 1978 (as I was a high school pump jockey at the neighbourhood Chevron at that time).

No problems to report in either case.

:)P

1 - 17 of 17 Posts