Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.freep.com/article/20091218/B ... usic-sites

Ford Motor Co. plans to launch a software application for its Sync communication technology that could allow drivers to connect to Internet music such as Pandora, as well as many other Web applications, the Free Press learned Thursday.

On Thursday, Pandora CEO Tim Westergren and Ford's Hall declined to comment on reports that the two companies are developing an application that would let Sync access Pandora's Internet music site, but a person familiar with Ford's planning confirmed the efforts.

Pandora is a music Web site that can be accessed for free by smart phones or computers, and users can select from numerous music genres, artist or by song. Pandora, founded in 2000, has grown to 40 million registered users, including about 15 million who access it through a mobile device.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sweet!

Any idea as to when this new version of Sync would be available? [better run over to sync my ride I suppose]

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I heard on the News Radio this morning that they are opening up Sync so that outside developers can create apps that can be installed... Similar to the iPhone and it's App Store. They didn't get into details as it was just a quick blurb. I wonder if this is what they were talking about.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next-generation Ford Sync makes car a mobile, Wi-Fi hotspot
http://www.freep.com/article/20091223/B ... Fi-hotspot
What could be next for Ford Motor Co.'s Sync?

That's the voice-controlled telecommunications and entertainment system launched in 2007, which has been wildly popular, with a 70% take rate and a onetime purchase price of $395.

As it turns out, quite a lot.

Ford President and Chief Executive Officer Alan Mulally is to deliver the keynote address for the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on Jan. 7, where Ford is to reveal details about the next-generation Sync, but some have been released already.

That includes the Wi-Fi announcement. Anyone who plugs an air card into the Sync USB port can turn the car into a mobile, Wi-Fi hotspot.

Innovations like this, Ford says, reveal how the new Sync could lay a foundation for new in-car technology.

In fact, in just 100 days, six students at the University of Michigan-Dearborn developed a few applications. One, called Follow-Me, allows a car to track another in front of it.

"It's very important that we continue to innovate," said Ford marketer Michelle Moody.

Automakers putting Wi-Fi on the road
Ford Motor Co.'s strategy to use its Sync in-car technology system to turn its cars into Wi-Fi hotspots is just one of many approaches that automakers are using to bring wireless Internet into the car.

Several automakers, including General Motors Co., are using technology from Autonet Mobile to offer Wi-Fi.

But the approaches come with different price tags.

While Ford's Sync, which is purchased with a onetime charge of $395, works with a user-provided air card, which are often bought through a telecommunications provider and come with a monthly fee.

GM's service costs $29 a month, and there's an advanced data package for $59 a month.

But Ford's sales pitch for Sync is broader than Wi-Fi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.