Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Ford Vertrek - Replacement for Kuga and Escape?

10K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  escape05xls 
#1 ·
Saw this out on the web today... Sounds like Ford's moving to replace both the Kuga and the Escape with this model.

http://www.familycarguide.com/blog/1053 ... -auto-show

Looks like an interesting vehicle, not so sure about the whole "stop/start" feature to save gas. It's going to be powered by a 1.6L Ecoboost Four.

It'll be interesting to test drive one when they hit the dealerships.

Here's some of the details:

Key design elements

Going further into the design intent, Ford iterates the "aggressive lower grille treatment, faster roofline and rising beltline with rear kickup." Specific design elements of the Vertrek Concept SUV which, by the way, was inspired by the European Ford Kuga crossover, include:

•Lower trapezoidal grille - the three section grille identifies Vertrek as the latest Ford (the first such grille appeared on the Ford Focus)
•Slimmer treatment of headlamps and taillamps - showcasing the advanced technology in the rest of the vehicle
•Muscular hood - a sign that advanced powertrains hide beneath?
•Faster roofline - for improved aerodynamics and better fuel economy
•Rising beltline - the automaker says this signals Vertrek's "dynamic presence"
•Wheel arches - for a solid, athletic-looking stance
•Wheels - that combine a sporty and lightweight look
•Panoramic roof - which probably won't make it into production because of stringent governmental roof crush standards

See less See more
#2 ·
Wintermute said:
Saw this out on the web today... Sounds like Ford's moving to replace both the Kuga and the Escape with this model.

http://www.familycarguide.com/blog/1053 ... -auto-show

Looks like an interesting vehicle, not so sure about the whole "stop/start" feature to save gas. It's going to be powered by a 1.6L Ecoboost Four.

It'll be interesting to test drive one when they hit the dealerships.
Thanks for the link!. :thumb: :welcome:

#3 ·
Rising beltline - the automaker says this signals Vertrek's "dynamic presence"
This design asthetic has been used by Chrysler for a while now, it puts design before function and makes smaller windows and bigger blind spots.
I'm not quite sure how having tail lights too small for anyone to see you in foul weather in any way highlights the techology of the vehicle.
The lower roof line looks pretty too, but never good news for us 6'+ crowd.
I'm a fan of good looking vehicles as long as design decisions don't take from the safety and driving experience.

#5 ·
Yep. Concept cars can change a lot between the shows and the showroom floor.

Honestly, I prefer my trucks to looks more like trucks than bubbles, but it seems to be what everyone is going to. It's all about MPG now it seems.

I'll be keeping my '10 Escape for a VERY long time.

#6 ·
Wintermute said:
Yep. Concept cars can change a lot between the shows and the showroom floor.

Honestly, I prefer my trucks to looks more like trucks than bubbles, but it seems to be what everyone is going to. It's all about MPG now it seems.

I'll be keeping my '10 Escape for a VERY long time.
Amen to that. I hate this new rat turd styling. Looks like something out of science magazines from the 50's telling us what things would be like in the 90's, only the weird looking vehicles in those could actually do cool stuff, like fly or hover. If I have to drive something that looks like a space capsule it darn well better be spaceflight capable.

I'm getting tired of the automakers trying to milk MPG's out of aerodynamics. Any vehicle that uses aerodynamics to achieve better efficiency is going to look ridiculous. The problem is the powerplant. A gasoline engine is going to use gasoline, no way around that. I don't know what the answer is, but instead of throwing all this money into designing slick shaped cars that only city dwelling yuppies like, so we can save a few MPG's yet still be chained to a gas pump, how about throwing it at finding a better way to power the vehicle. If you find a clean power source that is actually powerful, you can push a barn door down the road with it and not hurt a thing.

Of course that isn't going to happen, cause as long as there are more people concerned with politics and money than whats good for everyone, we are going to stick with whatever technology generates those in power the most income, instead of flying our clean powered vehicles to work in the morning.

[/rant] :horse:

#7 ·
megascape said:
it's a concept car, they cay it will come out but until it does it's just a concept car.
I agree, concept car!!

Near production car?

French

#8 ·
"If you find a clean power source that is actually powerful, you can push a barn door down the road with it and not hurt a thing".

Ethanol made from garbage, woodchips, tires, switchgrass, sugarbeets, pototoes, sugarcane, syrup, etc... cellulose ethanol production exists today in this country. There is a plant 60 miles from my home where just such production is on-going. The current produced ICE does NOT need a change in engine material composition to run ethanol. It does need fuel mapping and injector sizing adjustments to run E85. It does need slight modification (higher compression for one) to be optimized running E85.

#10 ·
#12 ·
stone said:
I respect, that the 1.6L engine is economical.
But for my needs, is decidedly lacking in power.
My escape 2.3L four pot, has sufficient economy.
Also it provides, reasonable power when needed.
I'm not feeling the new design either but that 1.6L will be turbo'd and have way more torque than our 2.3L or even the 2.5L have.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine#1.6_L_EcoBoost_I-4
The engine is rated at 180 bhp (130 kW) and 180 lb·ft

#13 ·
:stifle: :barf: So this is the KUGA or thats something else? Dont like it in any case. What is happening here :barf: :stifle:

#15 ·
:hyst: FORD TOAD :hyst: The name it self sounds more interesting than the actual ride

Airmapper said:
oskerb said:
:stifle: :barf: So this is the KUGA or thats something else? Dont like it in any case. What is happening here :barf: :stifle:
It reminds me of a Toad. Kinda streamlined, kinda not, squatty, but stands up a little. Short, fat, and all around ugly. Yeah, it should be called the Ford Toad.

#16 ·
The blogs.insideline link shows the Kuga body on the Vertrek chassis. Basically an early stage test mule. You can see in the pic bellow how the tailpipes dont line up with the cutouts.

The final product won't look like this. It will look more like the Vertrek show car...

The overall shape is very close but there are quite a few detail changes...

#18 ·
Well said Sir.......Well said

jonas1022 said:
I was just at the Kia dealership. Their new Sportage doesn't look significantly different from the Kuga/Vertrek. I'm not pushing the "Like" button for it either.

#19 ·
I don't hate it but I do prefer the look and utility of the more upright current Escape.

I understand why Ford has to go this direction though. The design is shaped to help satisfy future CAFE requirements. Smoother shape means less drag. Less drag means the engine works less. Engine working less should equate to better gas mileage...

#21 ·
And if they don't hit it out of the park, I will hit jpark.

:D What?

Not to fall off topic, but the rear of the Vertrek looks higher than the Kuga's. And that front wheel of the test mule looks bigger than the rear. Or maybe it's the tire.

#22 ·
Wow - I am most impressed with the concept. Heck, I'd be even OK with Kuga like styling for the new Escape. I've heard everything from 2012 to 2013 release. Hopefully we'll see something by mid 2011? It sounds like an exciting year for CUV's with redesign of Rav4, CrV, and release of Sportage turbo (one of these days).

#25 ·
I like those wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.